2000 Marin Mount Vision Build

Re:

I usually ride with a Camelbak but I had to use the top tube bottle mount last summer as I was humping a massive bloody rucksack along the Sandstone Way. T’was originally a 1998 Mount Vision but I had to upgrade the swingarm so I could use disc brakes. I think the front part of the frame is the only original part left!

Attachments

• 7D71844E-53A0-4B27-B4FD-75E1CA3D5038.jpeg
    7D71844E-53A0-4B27-B4FD-75E1CA3D5038.jpeg
    287.5 KB · Views: 970
I like the black! It makes it look horribly modern with nobody doing a double take as you get it out of the back of the van/ car/ pram - often accompanied by the comment 'you're going to ride that??' then trying not to make comment as you pass them yet again.

Anyway, I have a 'spare' Mt. Vision to play with and some more furlough by the looks of it.

Re:

I’d been intending having a full overhaul for years but I wanted her finished for doing a 3 day 120 mile off-road ride on the Sandstone Way in Northumberland. Honestly, she was every bit as good as the modern Kona’s and Specialized machines my mates were riding.

Having said that I dread to think how much I spent doing her up. I did get a few bargains along the way, including another totally beaten up FRS frame from which I only I wanted the swingarm for the disc brake tab but the bloke said I could have the Fox air shock for a fiver.

The real cost comes when I started thinking “mmmm, a Thomson seat post and stem would finish the job nicely...etc etc....” then it’s XT, rear mechs, shifters...

Still, she’s a great cross country machine and worth every penny. She always generates conversation whenever I stop for coffee.

Attachments

• 801A7DBB-C6A2-4306-A4ED-17457B69EF9D.jpeg
    801A7DBB-C6A2-4306-A4ED-17457B69EF9D.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 945
I spent a fair bit of time looking at other people's builds & colour schemes on their MtV's before building mine. Your stealthy all black one is definitely one of my favorites, along with benandemu's exemplary builds on here.

While I'm quite picky about bike fit and cockpit setup, I've never been that fussed about nice or matching parts as long as everything's mechanically sound. This bike is the first time I've ventured beyond humble acera/STX, and while the xt rear mech certainly does the job very nicely I can't say I've noticed it works any better than the lesser models.

I am in awe of the attention to detail people put into builds on this site, some are truly impressive!

legrandefromage":1aql0fmo said:
I like the black! It makes it look horribly modern with nobody doing a double take as you get it out of the back of the van/ car/ pram - often accompanied by the comment 'you're going to ride that??' then trying not to make comment as you pass them yet again.

That's not what it felt like when you were commenting on Our Jimmy's Shoreline.....What’s changed your mind?

Attachments

• Marin Shoreline Trail.jpg
    Marin Shoreline Trail.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 938
Thats black and white with the spaghetti swing arm and ancient forks

...and and and so much else 'wrong'!!!

<ignore him, he's down to his last can of Stella>

hawkhill97":oy2xnzsc said:
That's another properly nice build!

Cheers...

legrandefromage":oy2xnzsc said:
Thats black and white with the spaghetti swing arm and ancient forks

...and and and so much else 'wrong'!!!

<ignore him, he's down to his last can of Stella>

Ah, I see... perhaps you should have a go at the thirteen year old who built it........ :roll:

Back