20 years ago today . . .

Re:

Came back from a year working in Guernsey in 1992 and found all my mates had ditched their road bikes and bought MTB's so i started borrowing a '92 Kona Fire Mountain.In late 1993 i bought a '93 kona Hahanna with Suntour XC Pro thumbies fitted at the shop from new. I loved and thrashed and upgraded it till all that was original was the frame :) eventually swapping all the bits over to a '94 Kona Kula with XC500's.

1991 Peugeot Safari 21spd, pink/magenta. According to the salesman, I'd "grow into it". It was a 21" size. Never grew into it, I ride a 19" now... Sold it 2yrs later to buy a bike that I could actually straddle without risking painful injury.

i got a dawes ascent for xmas 1988 (it was white front triangle and yellow rear triangle,forks). loved that bike and did my first 100 miles on it when i was 15.

i then upgraded to a 1992 marin eldridge grade bike and the difference was like night into day.

funnily enough i will soon be the proud owner of a 1994 marin pine mountain and i cannot tell you how chuffed i am to be getting this bike (then i can be a bonafida member of this forum finally lol (my other bike is a 2011 charge duster).

Re:

This, in 1988. Claude Butler Cape Wrath. Photo below not long after I got it:

12748969094_914c494d6e_h.jpg

1994 MUDDY FOX, Rock n roll was my first off road bike , was on a budget.
it was blinged up with Rocket science , syncros and ringle loads of purple ano ,
My partner at the time used to go nuts every Friday when id arrive home from work ,after visiting
bike Trax to waste more money on magic tyres or other bling that you just had to own.
Great memory's

Re:

In 1997 I bought a GT LTS4, my first taste of suspension as the earlier 4 bikes had all been solid.
Trail Quests, Polaris', and dozens of rides and weekends away later I needed to part fund a Klein purchase so sold it to a motorcycle trials rider who used it to get fitter.

Re:

It was about this time 20 years ago I too upgraded to full sus and I blame mbuk fully ( late 90's team bikes where yellow hecklers). I went from a giant cfm 3 which I had had for a couple years and totally stretched my finances and built a custom speck Santa Cruz heckler supplied and built by single track bikes in gloucester. Used it properly for a few years and then family/cars/houses came along and the old girl got dusted off one or twice a year if she was lucky. So fast forward 15 years to now and I have 2 young kids and so have started dragging them around in a cycle buggy and realised the heckler is getting a bit tired. That's how I have ended up here actually. So the old girl is just getting a modern update thanks to good deals on Crc and some choice buys from here. So new shock, m8000 1x11 drive train and hope wheels.

Back