1997 Rocky Mountain Altitude T.O. --- NEW PICS Feb 11

97 would make that too late a geometry for running rigid forks like switchblades and powerlites, as the frame was designed for suspension??? :?

i have that same jersey, owned from new! :D though it's a large and a tad big for me, but it was the only size they had when i bought it. if you ever come across a medium, please let me know! ;)

RockiMtn":6cm4o9w6 said:
97 would make that too late a geometry for running rigid forks like switchblades and powerlites, as the frame was designed for suspension??? :?

I seem to remember that it'll steepen the head and seat tube angle by 1 degree or so. If this is the case, It's not ideal but it shouldn't be too bad. I'll try it out. The quicker steering will come in handy on the way to the corner market to pick up some bread :LOL:

TheJackel2013":2x3wzhqj said:
RockiMtn":2x3wzhqj said:

I seem to remember that it'll steepen the head and seat tube angle by 1 degree or so. If this is the case, It's not ideal but it shouldn't be too bad. I'll try it out. The quicker steering will come in handy on the way to the corner market to pick up some bread :LOL:

It'll probably be interesting, ~430odd sus forks dropping to 390mm length.
Angles, bottom bracket height.. Go for it, feel like a dodgy fixie.

It'll be worse than running buggered suspension forks ;-)

Some nice condition xc pro you have there :-D

this is ALL KINDS of WRONG! :LOL:

you need an early 90's Altitude frame for what you are doing. ;)

Re: too steep

Yep, nice frame, nice Suntour bits, and I understand the idea as well, but I just couldn't do it. Even accounting for suspension sag, it's gonna turn out something like 72/74. The head tube might even end up as steep as 72.5 degrees.

For the cost of the forks you're aiming for, you could buy a suspension fork from that era and get it sorted. Your geometry would be within half a degree of stock angles. A nicer ride all around.

Is it just me, or would those parts be so nice hanging off, like, a '93 Blizzard?

Oh, and if you love your nice bike, please don't take it to the shops unless they'll let you bring it inside. Danger. That paint says, "Rock and Roll!"

A 97 frame is built w/ a 70mm susp fork. A rigid fork should have an A-C of 430mm at least. Head angle is steepened by 1 degr. every 20mm so that tange would bring the 71 head angle to 73... Not to mention BB height and seat tube angle.

A 97 frame is built w/ a 70mm susp fork. A rigid fork should have an A-C of 430mm at least. Head angle is steepened by 1 degr. every 20mm so that tange would bring the 71 head angle to 73... Not to mention BB height and seat tube angle.

But that was 7 years ago 🤣

Latest posts

Back