1997 Kona Kilauea - Special Edition ?

al-onestare":3kke01cp said:
Please could we have some more drive side shots? Pretty please...

Haha I am bad for this. I dismount on the home drive side and have a bad habit of just leaning it on something and taking a quick picture

I will try and get some tonight.

Re:

A few tidbits of into I was able to get from Kona. Some of it not so new and some I haven't heard before.

"Hi, yes that was a special edition released during 1997. The one in the catalog was with a P2 fork but at the time there was a huge surge in demand for bikes with front suspension so we did a second version during the season."

"Back then the catalog pictures were all shot on film for a print catalog so if there was a special bike release it never was photo’d. They’d sell out and get sent to the bike shops almost immediately."

I dont think anything is too surprising here. We k ow 1997 was a real cornerstone for the industry and things were changing quickly

Here a couple of tidbits I have not seen before.

"I can’t recall how many we had and the software that was running then is long mothballed. Probably 300-600 for all of Canada."

This is certainly higher than anything I have seen. I would assume the US would have had at least many so by their estimate there ar close to a thousand of these out there ? Seems unlikely based on how many are out there on the internet.

Anyone know roughly how many regular kilaueas etc they would have made that year ?

"That was a Marzocchi fork colour that they matched at the factory. If you take it to a better painter they will be able to either match that with a chip book or shoot with UV to mix up a bit in that blue."

So it appears the bike was painted to math the fork and not the other way around. I dont believe I have seen that either.

Re:

A few more pictures, drive side this time.

Bit of a muddy ride last night so I just hosed it off quickly so dont mind the dirt.

Re:

Swapped out the brake pads. I am pretty sure the ones on there are the originals from 1997.

Tempted to upgrade the brakes to XT but these deore V brakes work really well in the dry and semi dry conditions I dont really see the need

Good old Kool stop they bite well.

Shimano parallel linkage brakes add a nice bit of extra power also the pads wear much more even too id upgrade this beauty deserves it haha

Paul R":1i0yxr0a said:
Good old Kool stop they bite well.

Shimano parallel linkage brakes add a nice bit of extra power also the pads wear much more even too id upgrade this beauty deserves it haha

Haha It would be easy to fall down the rabbit hole

Where even is the best place for vintage parts ?

Anything else on this worth upgrading ? The XT and deore mechs work very well and so too do the XT shifters.

Brakes and levers I could see for sure.

Back