1997 Kona Kilauea - Special Edition ?

Re:

I was able to get the grips off without much issues, replaced with some half worn race fave lock on grips I had around. Swapped saddles and put some flat pedals on

Just took it for a 90 minute ride and man is it a nimble nice little bike. Mostly asphalt some gravel slme single track.

It feels a lot different than the 95 lava dome. I was concerned about the suspension fork at first as it will be mostly for around town but since it's a coil fork it wasnt revving me of power too bad and smoothed out some bumps nicely.

Any issue with taking off the rubber boots ? Is it really protecting much ?

Here are a couple of pictures from this weekends ride around town (all our trails are closed).

It highlights a few changes that I have made, some SRAM foam grips, a shorter stem off of a 97 hahanna or fire mountain. Race face flat pedals, swapped in my WTB saddle that I like. I removed the dust covers as one was cracked and a bit ripped.

I had a set of the 90s "Dewey Too" bar ends that I have tossed on, havent gotten a chance to ride it set up like that yet. Not sure about the looks but I want to try having a different hand position for longer rides, we will see if they stay or leave. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

I have all the original parts in a bin (Seat, stem, pedals, grips) that I can put back on if desired.

I am running a pair of 26x2.0 Kenda Kozmik Lite Pro tires, I actually really like these, quite supple and fast rolling, not so great in the mud obviously

That is so nice. Keep the bar ends. It is good to have the different hand and body positions and I usually seem to end up on my bar ends when climbing.
Neighbour took a ride on my Explosif last night while I rode his modern lump. Two things he said were:
1. This feels quick
2. (while climbing) I like these bar ends.

jonthefish":6vxvwpad said:
That is so nice. Keep the bar ends. It is good to have the different hand and body positions and I usually seem to end up on my bar ends when climbing.
Neighbour took a ride on my Explosif last night while I rode his modern lump. Two things he said were:
1. This feels quick
2. (while climbing) I like these bar ends.

It really is amazing how quick they accelerate and how live they feel compared an old bruiser crap bike

Kona-Ian":2cbc1ofi said:
Lovely bike :cool:
I had a 1997 Kilauea too but just a UK spec one.
Swapped it for a car around 2000.

Unfortunate but I get the feeling. There is always another Kikauea out there for you haha

Back