1997 Kona Hot Stars n Bars

Re: '97 Kona Hot Stars n Bars

Sorted out wheels, Mavic Crossmax's. Not sure if they'll suit it until they arrive but, if not, they'll work on another build.

Re:

I've came across some nice Fox F80 RLC's. They've recently been serviced and rebuilt with pretty much everything new: lowers, canti mounts, seals, oil, crush washers, compression adjuster ball bearing and spring and decals. The crown has also been stripped and polished, so they look pretty retro but actually work. Wasn't keen on buying something period correct that weren't going to much of an improvement over the ones I already had.

Bought a 1st generation S-Works Strongarm chainset. Although they're a nice shape and will look good polished I'm not 100% sure about them on this frame. But also have a lead on some Syncros Forged cranks. So, if they work out, I'll use them if the Strongarm's end up looking rubbish or use them on my Attitude build instead.

Also bought a seatpost, a Truvativ Team, the only silver 27.0mm inline post that’s turned up..

The Ritchey Classic bars arrived today from CRC. Decided to get the 10 degree sweep ones. Thought I’d try some Saint MX80 pedals as they were on offer, never tried flats before.

Attachments

• fox forks.jpg
    fox forks.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 364
Re:

:cool: Nice pick up :)

Here's one I did earlier with M950 and some silver bits :) ....

96Hot1stBuilda037.jpg

More pics in build thread if you fancy a butchers...

viewtopic.php?p=824555#824555=

Looking forward to seeing yours built up.

Cheers :)

Re:

Thanks. I read your thread, looks good just decided I wanted more shiny bits rather than M950 grey. Hopefully mine will turn out as nice even though it won't be period correct which will upset some.

It's taking longer than expected to get the bits together which isn't good for someone like me who has no patience! I expected this one to be pretty easy and my Adroit difficult but it's turned out to be the other way around.

The "As New" 27.0mm seatpost arrived today. Turns out to be poor second hand with lots of surface corrosion and 27.2mm. Good selective photography skills by the seller though. The wonders of eBay! So back to square one, the only 27.0 post I have here is a Campag from my Colnago.

Attachments

• IMG_20140708_093319.jpg
    IMG_20140708_093319.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 322

You may be better off with a new 27.0 Thomson (only in black in 27.0) and depainting/polishing it...

Yeah might well be. Ended up getting one for my Adroit build, but silver, as nothing period correct turned up. The only problem is, if the black ones are the same as the silver, they have a machined finish which looks like it would be hard work polishing it. Nothing on eBay at the moment even in black.

That's it, I decided I'm going with the original plan. I've bought a Middleburn RS8 crankset with their new TT Uno, thick, thin direct mount chainring (which everyone else seems to call a narrow wide). So 1x10 it is. Bought a Hope bottom bracket to go with it. Makes things much easier, summer and life's too short to mess around. When I want full retro goodness I have my Adroit.

There’s a small chance that the back end will be painted before the last bits arrive. Not holding my breath though, I still expect that to be a job for winter.

Attachments

• Chainset.jpg
    Chainset.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 289
The RS8’s and Hope bottom bracket arrived today. I’m not sure what the current finish is like on RS8’s but, although these are nearly new, they’ve almost a brushed finished (as can be seen on the previous pics) together with a few minor scratches.

So I started polishing them up. It took quite a bit longer than expected as there was quite a few low areas and flash marks. Looks pretty good now, not that I suppose it will last long.

Attachments

• crank.jpg
    crank.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 251
Still waiting for the forks and expect the wheels will turn up from distant lands sometime next week.

I've been offered a set of Avid Ultimate Black Ops Research brakes and levers in exchange for mucho dinero, actually it wasn't a bad deal. Hopefully they'll arrive next week too.

I had been trying to decide on the mech and shifter to use. Head says XT M786 Shadow+, heart says silver SRAM X0 Type 2. The X0 just looks nicer but then it’s getting on for 3 times to price, even more expensive than XTR.

Then needed to decide on which shifter if I did go with X0. They do a trigger and a grip shift. Way back in the distant past when I tried grip shifts I hated them and they didn’t stay on for too long. But they’ve apparently improved loads (not that that’s difficult) and the reviews have been pretty good. So thought give them a whirl.

So after much toing and froing I just did it and ordered the X0 with grip shift, SRAM chain with a 11-36 XT cassette, as that’s been recommended by a number of people over the SRAM cassette. Went with a medium cage just in case I fancied adding a 42t cog at some point, can’t see it happening but have the option.

Still not sorted out another seatpost. The idiot seller of the other is trying to blame me for the corrosion. So will let eBay & PayPal sort it out.

For the saddle I’ve 2 Flites here, an original Titanium and a red Genuine Gel which also looks good.

So not much more to go but, looking outside, think I might have missed summer.

Attachments

• Brakes-Mech.jpg
    Brakes-Mech.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 251
Back