1997 Kona Hot Stars n Bars

Re: '97 Kona Hot Stars n Bars

Thanks, One or two but think this is more of an heirloom bike that you just hang on to (sorry!).

Not going 950 though, do have it here but think this suits silver better, we'll see if I'm right.

its_kirby":1tob75jd said:
:LOL: I wonder how many people have pm'd you trying to mither this off you so far.

I have not.................but could have perfectly done it! :p

Beautiful frame, one of my most looked after in that exact size. I see it more retro than neoretro myself.

Congratulations!

Re:

Not a whole lot of progress yet, I could pick up a modern drivetrain today but am waiting to see if I can find M900 (yeah, I know not quite period correct) or M739 mechs first. Not going to wait much longer though (summer's not that long), if nothing turns up shortly I'll go modern as originally planned.

I picked up this titanium bottle cage fairly cheaply, a Specialized E-Cage. But it had the normal matt finish which doesn't fit in to the shiny theme, so decided to try polishing it. Anyway, although it was slow going, it came out pretty well. Not quite a mirror finish but close enough.

Attachments

• Bottle-Cage.jpg
    Bottle-Cage.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 330

I’m going to use these forks, at least for now. I bought them a time back and they’re in excellent condition complete with new innards. So seemed a shame to waste them, even though they’re too old. They polished up nicely and, I think, suit the bike.

Attachments

• Manitou.jpg
    Manitou.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 306

Honestly? You've got such a cool frame, for me, it deserves the best and those aren't. Of course, it's your bike and you're riding it, not me!

Well there's a real shortage of decent parts at the moment, I'm finding it hard to get anything. I've test fitted it and I think it looks good. A couple of years earlier they probably were the best.

Also swapping it out when something else turns up is a trivial job, the main thing was getting it rideable. Of course if someone has a decent set of period forks that I like then I'd be interested. But, as there isn't much around, a lot of stuff is scabby with mint asking prices and I'm not doing that.

Another option would be to use a modern fork, say a Fox RC100, and colour code it. But would make sense to do that at the same time as the back end is resprayed as a white fork wouldn't look good.

I bought this stem, 100mm & 8 degree, which arrived today. Bit of a rise helps a dodgy neck. Again the colour was wrong but was easier to polish than the bottle cage. I used oven cleaner to remove the anodising then wet and dry and elbow grease. I could have bought a Ritchey Classic stem and saved me some work but I'm not overly keen on the looks.

Attachments

• Stem.jpg
    Stem.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 269
Back