1996 Explosif

Wow! Yours looks like a showroom piece, Martin. I think I'd be afraid to ride it, if a had a vintage bike in that condition.

Bone Machine":3ttxk694 said:
Wow! Yours looks like a showroom piece, Martin. I think I'd be afraid to ride it, if a had a vintage bike in that condition.

cheers, mate. :) This one is not going to be a rider - but I have found myself another 96 Explosif frame, this time an 18", which I build up at the moment, and that is going to be a rider, for sure. The 96 Kona frame geometry, plus the Max frame material, makes it a very lovely ride.

If you need any further advice and help, just ask and keep the pics. coming ;)

Re:

Few pics of the finished bike:

s4py.jpg

pdidd.jpg

fzmwq.jpg

qfkgu.jpg

i9uh.jpg

esmf.jpg

bbx2.jpg

Re:

Good work on the build - looks great!

I also have a '96 Explosif in the same colour scheme. I'll be going down the respray route though - as mine's not in nearly as good condition as yours.

Enjoy riding your new bike!

Re:

Thanks, guys. I've been having a great time riding this bike. Its performance has exceeded my expectations - and then some. It's already one of the favourite bikes that I own. It just wants to go fast, and it feels a lot lighter than its 24.3 lbs. I think it accelerates and climbs better than any bike I can remember riding.

One thing I am going to change right away is the fork. Normally, I like to keep vintage bikes as original as possible. But this bike is going to be a frequent rider, so I want to improve the ride quality whenever possible.

I have two forks I want to try out. One is a triple-butted Project2 I scavenged off another bike. I had a LBS extend the threading on the steer tube. The other is a 2001 Manitou Mars Elite air and spring fork.

6v30k.jpg

a09y.jpg

Triple butted p2 every time :cool:

Shave a good bit of weight off and really makes the sharp handling shine ;)

Re: Re:

Bone Machine":6x1tmpow said:
Thanks, guys. I've been having a great time riding this bike. Its performance has exceeded my expectations - and then some. It's already one of the favourite bikes that I own. It just wants to go fast, and it feels a lot lighter than its 24.3 lbs. I think it accelerates and climbs better than any bike I can remember riding.

One thing I am going to change right away is the fork. Normally, I like to keep vintage bikes as original as possible. But this bike is going to be a frequent rider, so I want to improve the ride quality whenever possible.

I have two forks I want to try out. One is a triple-butted Project2 I scavenged off another bike. I had a LBS extend the threading on the steer tube. The other is a 2001 Manitou Mars Elite air and spring fork.

6v30k.jpg

a09y.jpg

I testify to the "just wants to go fast" sentiment - they are rockets aren't they?

Fork wise it depends what your typical days riding and terrain looks like and of course, comfort.

Personally speaking I think these benefit more from decent suspension forks that rigid forks. A nice pair of Z2's or for weight saving, RC36's would work well. Of course, TB P2's will shave even more and if you like that feel more, then it's a no brainer.

Re:

Manitou Mars of that year are an awesome fork, smooth, really light weight comparable to a Sid and they have lock out plus they listed at just under £600.00 when new :cool: But that colour is not a good match for the '96 Explosif :shock: Be careful if you strip them to re spray as the legs are magnesium!

Back