1995 RM Hammer "pub" bike

RockiMtn

Gold Trader
Rocky Mountain Fan
Feedback
View
so got this frame and it had a bent hanger but otherwise it was in good shape with no dents in it. after some input, i gave a go at straightening it back up yest.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=344876

think i did a fairly adequate job of it so now i'm proceeding to build it up.

my intentions was to make it into what you brits call a "pub" bike which i could use to commute around, lock up or loan out and not worry too much about if damaged or stolen. my first thoughts of the build was just use the black 7-spd LX kit i had collected and put on a 95 RM Blizzard which i recently stripped down and sold and use as little nondescript parts to keep it low key. i had a decent RM branded teal Tange fork i believe off of 92 Equipe i had lying around that i would make use of as well.

well, just one small miscalculated change can throw you in a whole new direction. :roll: :facepalm:

the original silver seat collar that was on the frame was trashed and needed to be replaced, so i put on a red RM branded collar and that set off the whole thing in motion. i realized that i also had some spare tatty Race Face bits in red lying around from a failed attempt to restore 96 Vertex T.O., which i also sold off. i thought, hey those would go nicely with the red seat collar! as well as a set of red Marzocchi z2 forks!!!

i fear i've made it too "flashy" now and attracts too much attention. :oops: :? :facepalm:

Attachments

• DSC03060.JPG
    DSC03060.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 902
  • DSC03058.JPG
    DSC03058.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 902
Re:

Nice! I guess you liked the direction I'm going with my Equipe, but you've got more red already. :cool:

I too was going to go low key, but after adding the cranks and fork, mine too now is too flashy to be used as a 'pub bike'.

Re:

only a test fit to see how things look. i still may use the black LX crank and headset with RM Tange fork i have as it goes well with the frame. :? also i need to replace the cracked crown on the z2 bombers before i can use them.

gonna see if i have a suitable alternative seat collar clamp.

Attachments

• DSC03064.JPG
    DSC03064.JPG
    87.9 KB · Views: 820
Re:

You fell into what behavioural economists would call the Diderot effect (basically, you start with something you're satisfied with, but then install a new part way fancier than the rest, so you start upgrading the other parts to match this initial one, and the end result is way more expensive than the starting point)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diderot_effect

Bike looks way too nice and flashy for a "pub bike". But then, if you splash in a VERY good lock (top of the range Abus or Kryptonite for around 100 EUR) plus bolts on saddlepost and wheels, why not? Going back to Economics, if all your nice components came from the parts bin, their replacement cost is zero, so you should not worry about it (I know, easier said than done).

Whatever you end up doing, nice bike!

yes, that's it. i was blinded by the 'idiot" effect!!! :facepalm: :LOL:

i will throw on the original LX parts and such in place of the red as i think i really should try to build this as much "below the radar" given it's purpose. :roll:

stuck to the original plan and kept it simple for it's intent and purpose. it turned out as it should... not so bad i'd be embarressed to ride, not too good that i'd be afraid to lose it. ;)

Attachments

• DSC03075.JPG
    DSC03075.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 640
  • DSC03074.JPG
    DSC03074.JPG
    322.9 KB · Views: 640
  • DSC03073.JPG
    DSC03073.JPG
    321.3 KB · Views: 639
  • DSC03072.JPG
    DSC03072.JPG
    288.5 KB · Views: 640
Re:

Lookin good! Not too nice, so it will fly under the radar to most, but those in the know, will know...

hoping those who don't know, won't look. and those who do know, won't care much! :LOL:

rode into work today. think the saddle position needs a tad of adjusting. otherwise feels good. may need to swap stem for longer eventually, but we'll see. don't have another stem with guide at the moment. guess i could do a fork mount. :?

Back