1995 PACE RC200 F5 RetroMod 1x11 Deore XT FINISHED Pg10

Re: IT’S A PACE JIM, BUT NOT AS WE KNOW IT…..

mk one":2htxhv3r said:
:xmas-cool: lucky lad, what a great present.

and great to see the receipt, £355.00 for the brakes, not much difference nowadays.
...and I’ll take some of that WTB Ti bars for £55 action!

The History Man":eko7apcd said:
We want more. Not appreciating the Pace pace.

Patience chap… Crimbo first.. build later, but here’s a few shots of the rest of the bounty from the family; Deore XT 2018 1x11 part group & "Jimmy" tubeless :xmas-wink:

longun":eko7apcd said:
Awesome buddy,pace day out next year then
Definitely need a Pace fest at Dalby. :xmas-cool: .

Hotwheels.":eko7apcd said:
...and I’ll take some of that WTB Ti bars for £55 action!
I gave up even finding some….. :roll:

Attachments

• IMG_9148.jpg
    IMG_9148.jpg
    812.4 KB · Views: 439
  • IMG_9149.jpg
    IMG_9149.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 438
  • IMG_9150.jpg
    IMG_9150.jpg
    937.7 KB · Views: 439

That’s Christmas done…. :xmas-big-grin:

Ok so what have we been up to over the past 4 months, well lets start with the frame. I’m assuming most of you Pace lovers out there are aware of Dansun67’s “Pace Serial Numbers” log? If not, it's here;
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ixx5elewuwe3h ... s.pdf?dl=0

By all accounts Dan keeps it right up to date, but if you have any more serial numbers etc just PM him with the info.
Here’s a snip from the F5 section and you can see Dan has added info on this frame;

We know the frame went back to Pace to have the disc mount and hose guides added and we’ve made a reasonable assumption that a repaired crack in the chain stay and BB would likely have happened at the same time as these were both covered by new anodising. Subsequent work has been another BB crack repair by Dan and he re-cut a larger thread in the BB and installed a pair of helicoils to bring the thread back to BSA.
We (me & Dan) had a chat about what we might do with the rest of the fittings, I ummed & ahhed about what could, would or should go or stay. Deciding eventually that we’d lose the canti posts and hanger from the wishbone as this bike will never be dressed in canti’s or even V’s, we kept the rear Crud Guard mounts as they would likely come in handy if I can find one…
I did think about loosing the down tube cable stops and instead utilise the top tube cable stops incorporated with the hose guides for the rear mech, but then they might be handy for a cable controlled dropped post, and also, if we have a change of mind over the 1x11 set-up, the downtube guides will keep the ability to mount a front mech on the books..

After that that I had a go at stripping the anodising, but it was such a smelly, nasty, messy job I paid AllenChrome in Pocklington £20 to do it for me…

Next? 2 months of polishing…. Flat tubes are a bitch compared to round and no, I didn’t bother with the CNC bits that are covered in the stickers… :xmas-cool:

Attachments

• Pace Serial Numbers.JPG
    Pace Serial Numbers.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 382
  • IMG_8359 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_8359 - Copy.jpg
    944.5 KB · Views: 382
Re: Re:

brocklanders023":1ia45wai said:
Enjoying this thread. Really should pick up a square tubed Pace. :cool:

Excellent, glad you’re enjoying it... :xmas-big-grin:

MR OX":1ia45wai said:
Unsuprisingly really high standard of finish here :cool:
This is gonna be a honey!

Cheers Ox.... we’re allowed out to the workshop tomorrow.... I’m just as excited as I was on Christmas Eve! :xmas-big-grin:

Re:

I was thinking along the same lines, still got the f8 frame that Dan fixed up last year that still needs fully stripping and re-anodising. I need to decide what colour first! I have some 1x11 XT kit gathered too. This is looking like a proper job though, looking forward to seeing progress

Re:

I’ve admired the work of Dan for a while now on many a pace I’ve seen repaired.

How does the cost compare to buying a nice frame? As surely his work isn’t cheap ( and it shouldn’t be) and the cost of a broken frame can already be 100-200£.

Re: Re:

RickTheUncivil":3dypfq6n said:
I was thinking along the same lines, still got the f8 frame that Dan fixed up last year that still needs fully stripping and re-anodising. I need to decide what colour first! I have some 1x11 XT kit gathered too. This is looking like a proper job though, looking forward to seeing progress

Morning Rick, merry Christmas to you and the Uncivil gang.... :xmas-big-grin:

d8mok":3dypfq6n said:
I’ve admired the work of Dan for a while now on many a pace I’ve seen repaired.

How does the cost compare to buying a nice frame? As surely his work isn’t cheap ( and it shouldn’t be) and the cost of a broken frame can already be 100-200£.

I suppose it's all relative and no, Dan doesn't do it for free, but when it comes to Pace frames a lot of love gets thrown in for free, I've worked with many engineers and small machining companies and I'd say Dan was by far the cheapest especially when you consider the wealth of knowledge he has regarding these frames. He is very likely to spot something we haven't.

As for 'is it worth it?' I'd say certainly in this case yes. currently on eBay there is an F3 and an F5 both loaded with goodies advertised at about £1500. My build will come in way way below £1000 all in and IMO look better...(than the ones currently on eBay) one does not like to blow one's own trumpet, but it's easy to buy an expensive Hope this or Chris King that, but to actually put it all together with a modicum of style I think takes a little more effort.
I do like my builds & they're enormously great fun as well :xmas-big-grin: So what price can be put on that?

Re:

Yes his knowledge and work is second to none.

I’ve watched a few Pace frames sell for around 150-200 with various damage or cracks and wondered about fixing one and then making it purple Ano. But everytime I look at the maths it never stacks up unless you already own the broken frame. No doubt I’ll do it though at some point as it’s a itch I have.

I’ve just finished my own Pace build and now I’m hooked.

Looking forward to your build

Back