1995 GT Zaskar

Theguz

Retro Newbie
Hey Guys,

Excited to join this forum. I've had my Zaskar since I was 17!! Worked at 16 to save up for a frame and then built it up. I am now 40 and still lover her. And still building her up lol.

I use it mainly now to commute to the train then to work. It still rips. Going to give it a 1by conversion soon and would like to put a rigid fork on it. Any recommendations on good forks beside bologna lite?

Cheers!!

Attachments

• PXL_20230204_021946846.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230204_021946846.MP.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20230109_003404037.jpg
    PXL_20230109_003404037.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 50
That would be San Diego area. Good to see another SoCal member. I’m in Los Angeles county.
Heck yeah!!!!! Cheers! Perhaps we ll cross paths one day! Hard to beat the socal sunsets.

Attachments

• PXL_20230211_014508546~2.jpg
    PXL_20230211_014508546~2.jpg
    272.4 KB · Views: 7
Weather is pretty gnarly at the moment, but yes, it is usually lovely. I imagine we will cross paths soon, as I believe by buddy who owns the local bike shop has the fork you’re looking for. I am tentatively planning to stop by his shop tomorrow and be happy to help out if he has what you need. Theres a 1/2 dozen NOS GT forks in his parts bin. Send a PM if want me to Facetime or Whatsapp call you tomorrow from the shop to review fork inventory.

Funny you posted your single owner Zaskar. I just finished putting a Zaskar frame on what was my single owner Tequesta that I also purchased with earnings from my first job as a teenager from the same shop mentioned above.

Weather is pretty gnarly at the moment, but yes, it is usually lovely. I imagine we will cross paths soon, as I believe by buddy who owns the local bike shop has the fork you’re looking for. I am tentatively planning to stop by his shop tomorrow and be happy to help out if he has what you need. Theres a 1/2 dozen NOS GT forks in his parts bin. Send a PM if want me to Facetime or Whatsapp call you tomorrow from the shop to review fork inventory.

Funny you posted your single owner Zaskar. I just finished putting a Zaskar frame on what was my single owner Tequesta that I also purchased with earnings from my first job as a teenager from the same shop mentioned above.
Dude thank you so much man!!! Yeah ll send you a PM (once I figure it out lol).

Those old GTs were prime in the 90s so good to hear that GT is moving their headquarters back to SoCal where it all started for them!

RE forks, you probably have what, 2.5 inch travel fork? For all intents and purposes you want a non-suspension corrected fork.

There's about a bajillion vintage cromo forks out there, I picked up two on ebay for <$35 recently and coulda paid less at the bike co-op. I guess GT was sourcing Spinner forks, they are out there. Looks a *lot* like a specialized fork, if you don't mind rattle-canning the thing. I tend to prefer Tange, which are prettier (if you want that) or equally burly (the "Big Fork") if that's your thing. Some of those Tange forks are really heavy, if that's of concern. Trek was sourcing "Lung" forks at the time, in spite of the goofy name those are pretty decent imo. Most of those vintage forks will be ~ 395mm or so, maybe a smidge shorter than you need, depending on what they did with that frame when the first sus forks came out... shouldn't hurt anything especially for street use

Be mindful of your steerer size, in the mid-90's there were a lot of changes going on... looks to me like you have 1 1/8 threadless but measure and be sure

Also check out the Kona P2 fork, those are harder to find used but are kinda different and should add/hold value. Carver has a clone of the P2 that's very reasonably priced if you prefer to go new, at 410mm it should be about perfect for your frame

The Surly Troll fork is still available, it's a bit longer at 420mm but still in the "non suspension corrected" range. I think they are ugly but plenty of mounting points for racks and whatnot

Check out the Stridsland website, it's a better option for people in Europe than the US because of shipping costs but he has a cool fork and some single speed chainrings in hard-to-find sizes

I'd consider the bike co-op thing, get a fork for cheap and they will help you install it right there. Rattle can it when you get home

RE forks, you probably have what, 2.5 inch travel fork? For all intents and purposes you want a non-suspension corrected fork.

There's about a bajillion vintage cromo forks out there, I picked up two on ebay for <$35 recently and coulda paid less at the bike co-op. I guess GT was sourcing Spinner forks, they are out there. Looks a *lot* like a specialized fork, if you don't mind rattle-canning the thing. I tend to prefer Tange, which are prettier (if you want that) or equally burly (the "Big Fork") if that's your thing. Some of those Tange forks are really heavy, if that's of concern. Trek was sourcing "Lung" forks at the time, in spite of the goofy name those are pretty decent imo. Most of those vintage forks will be ~ 395mm or so, maybe a smidge shorter than you need, depending on what they did with that frame when the first sus forks came out... shouldn't hurt anything especially for street use

Be mindful of your steerer size, in the mid-90's there were a lot of changes going on... looks to me like you have 1 1/8 threadless but measure and be sure

Also check out the Kona P2 fork, those are harder to find used but are kinda different and should add/hold value. Carver has a clone of the P2 that's very reasonably priced if you prefer to go new, at 410mm it should be about perfect for your frame

The Surly Troll fork is still available, it's a bit longer at 420mm but still in the "non suspension corrected" range. I think they are ugly but plenty of mounting points for racks and whatnot

Check out the Stridsland website, it's a better option for people in Europe than the US because of shipping costs but he has a cool fork and some single speed chainrings in hard-to-find sizes

I'd consider the bike co-op thing, get a fork for cheap and they will help you install it right there. Rattle can it when you get home
Right on thank you for that info and tips. Definitely all solid options right there

Back