1995 Answer Manitou Magnum Forks

Re:

I appreciate the positive feedback. Let us know how they ride once fitted.
The elastomers do not absorb grease or oil, so from that perspective you’re free to use whatever you choose.

Re:

I messaged Longun as I know he used suspension bikes and he came back with this:

http://www.pacecycles.com/shop/rc7-grease

Good stuff but I think they are taking the Pi55 a bit as it's £8.95 a tub with a postal charge of £5.50 for 2nd class postage !

I might have to buy this stuff anyway but can anyone suggest something a little less hard hitting on the wallet?

Re:

I've used Judy Butter (old stuff) as it came with some forks.
Rock and Roll Super Slippery/Slick (a grey colour) is nice and what I use on the sliding parts, plus for Hope TiGlide Pawls and some inner cables.

For general fork parts and springs, then Rock n Roll Red (Red Devil)
grease is really nice (probably similar to the Castrol slightly transparent green stuff really).
I do have a Ball Bearing Web Grease (Same rock n roll company) I wouldn't use that, to stringy.

I have been known to use the red grease for lots of stuff incl for rebuilds when the other wasn't to hand.

So to put it bluntly and thin grease (it's not actually grease though).

At the time I got a good deal on the rock n roll stuff.
There is probably a TF2 and RSP similar, get whichever is easy to get.
Or use the Castrol stuff.

Re:

I've used car lube stuff, rich.

As long as the lube is kind to plastics etc. Then it's safe. This quantity is plenty. Just a smear is good. About 4 quid on eBay.

Attachments

• s-l400.jpg
    s-l400.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 582
Thanks Marc and Ben, I actually ordered a tube of Carlube Silicone last week:)

I'll let you know how I get on.

Re:

My Carlube Silicone arrived today, bloody hell, you don't get much for £3.99 !

I'll need four of these tubes to do the forks I think. Good job I also ordered some of this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GS-200g-sili ... 2749.l2649

I just hope it does the job as I just completed the second 'Dry Build' of the forks to see how it all felt dry. I cut one of the pieces of material acquired in half and used that as the '3rd stage Rebound Elastomer' (See the Magnum diagram in the first page manual link in this post).

I'll wait until the 'GS 200g silicone grease' is delivered before I complete the final stage of the rebuild, then I'll take pictures of the re build and post them all here :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Re:

Trebz":2l6euaub said:
My Carlube Silicone arrived today, bloody hell, you don't get much for £3.99 !

I'll need four of these tubes to do the forks I think. Good job I also ordered some of this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GS-200g-sili ... 2749.l2649

I just hope it does the job as I just completed the second 'Dry Build' of the forks to see how it all felt dry. I cut one of the pieces of material acquired in half and used that as the '3rd stage Rebound Elastomer' (See the Magnum diagram in the first page manual link in this post).

I'll wait until the 'GS 200g silicone grease' is delivered before I complete the final stage of the rebuild, then I'll take pictures of the re build and post them all here :)

Hello Trebz

How are you getting on with this fork rebuild?

I've been away from the forum for a while, but have come back recently, and am on a very similar journey to yourself. I've got three sets of Mani 1 forks to restore and rebuild, and I'm also looking to source my own poly rod rather than buy sets of the stuff from suspensionforkparts in the US at $55 a pop!

I think I've now got a plastics guy that can supply me with the rod, and I'm just trying to firm up what shore hardness I need to order from him.

How did you get on with the pieces that you bought from RVA?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I've not yet completed the build and the forks are still in the 'Dry Build' stage. I need to get a half day put aside to get down the shed and lube them and check the stack height etc. Right now they are sat next to my desk in my home office and have been since my last post hehe. I'll update you ASAP.

Latest posts

Back