1995 Answer Manitou Magnum Forks

That 50a durometer rod I got for the manitou-1 I rebuilt made the fork feel just like my RS quadra I had at the time... although leg corrosion and bad bushings relegated the fork to show duty only.

There are some RS quadra elastomer kits available on the bay at the time of this posting... not to advertise (and they aren't mine eh) but I'd imagine those would spruce up a magnum or a 3/4 quite nicely.

The top out and bottom out bumpers are still a little more tricky... keep an eye out for rubber things that might work is the best I was able to come up with.

edit: the quadra elastos don't have a hole through them to accommodate the rod that runs through the elastomers on the 3 and 4... but they should be fine for the magnum.

I just found a company that can provide Polyurethane Rods between 20 and 90 Shore A rating in a 20mm (or other) diameter with a minimum length of 300mm in pretty much any colour.

I've asked for the to quote on 300mm / 40 Shore A / 20mm in red.

They can deliver as well :)

If I can get this sorted we may have a company to supply us all with elastomer material...............

Right, here's the best this company can do:

Quote for 2 lengths x 300mm x 15.5mm or 21mm 60 Shore A = £10.97 per rod - for main elastomers

Quote for 1 x length x 300mm x 21.5mm 40 Shore A = £12.97 per rod - for 2nd and 3rd stage rebound

Delivery is £5.95 within the UK

I've confirmed with my electronic digital caliper measure that the internal measurement required for the main elastomers is as Fluffychicken states, 16.77mm, it will accept a smaller size however but I'm unsure as to whether 15.5mm will be wide enough to stop the elastomer pushing through the spacer.

The 2nd and 3rd stage rebound sections measure at 22.78mm so we are Ok to go with the quoted size of 21.5mm.

What do you think guys? Take the gamble on the 60 Shore at 15.5mm ?

:)

It's not about the Shore rating (Bounciness) it's about the diameter of the rod. If I go for a 15.5mm it may push through the spacers and if I go for the 21.5mm variant it may be too wide for the spacer.......

Re:

60 Shore A make those pretty firm doesn’t it. Worth a gamble at those prices..not found anywhere that can get close without me ordering 3.5 tonnes in advance :LOL:

Re: Re:

Antstark":gi9vzz5f said:
60 Shore A make those pretty firm doesn’t it. Worth a gamble at those prices..not found anywhere that can get close without me ordering 3.5 tonnes in advance :LOL:

They can supply between 20 and 90 Shore.

Maybe I should go for 40 shore for the main elastomer and 20 for the 2nd and 3rd stage rebound ?

Re:

I’d go 40 all round ..a much softer top out elastomer would compress before the stack starts to move..you don’t want that. 20 on rebound would be ok I guess

Oh so Let's say I go with the 40 all round, what about the diameter: 15.5mm it may push through the spacers and if I go for the 21.5mm it might be too big for the spacer :)

The true measurement for the fitting is 16.77mm which they can't supply.

Does it matter if they go through the spacers? Mani sports have a single elastomer with spacers that slide on to it. The spacers are just there to keep it central in the stantion.

Trebz":3jwf6p3f said:
Oh so Let's say I go with the 40 all round, what about the diameter: 15.5mm it may push through the spacers and if I go for the 21.5mm it might be too big for the spacer :)

The true measurement for the fitting is 16.77mm which they can't supply.

Back