1994 Wheeler 9800

K_50

Old School Hero
I picked up this frame a few weeks ago, and finally built it up today with some blue bits from a Barracuda which turned out to be too large for me (sold the frame), and stuff from my parts stash. Plus new tyres and grips.

Re:

Very nice - my first proper bike was a Wheeler 7700 back in '93 so have a soft spot for these

Re: Wheeler 9800

I do like that, not a fan of the tyres but if it gets riden then its good.

Not sure if its the angle of pictures but it looks a long frame, and those pedals look huuuuge :)

Re: Re:

miake108":2u35utbj said:
Very nice - my first proper bike was a Wheeler 7700 back in '93 so have a soft spot for these

Would you happen to have an idea about what year mine is? I'm guessing '93-'95, but there isn't really any info to be found online...

Re: Re:

Would you happen to have an idea about what year mine is? I'm guessing '93-'95, but there isn't really any info to be found online...

Possibly a 94, I remember the 93 had elevated chain stays

mk one":2shs28zf said:
I do like that, not a fan of the tyres but if it gets riden then its good.

Not sure if its the angle of pictures but it looks a long frame, and those pedals look huuuuge :)

I actually paid full price for the tyres for once (I usually go for what's on sale) because I thought they would be perfect for this build. Tanwall, reasonably lightweight, low rolling resistance on asphalt, but still enough thread that they should be able to handle a bit of gravel or singletrack, whenever I can get out of the city, and hold a better grip in wet/greasy conditions than slicks. I've been riding Schwalbe Kojaks for the last couple of years, which are fine when it's dry and warm. But last autumn, when the leaves were starting to fall, I had a nasty crash, hitting my right knee and elbow on the square edge of a granite curb, when my front tyre suddenly lost its grip going over a manhole-cover in a slow turn.
It's a 16" frame, so maybe it looks longer than it is (the tt is around 54cm long). It fits my 175 cm. just fine.
The pedals are huge. But that was what I had in my parts bin. I'm on the lookout for a set of blue flats, and a more retro stem/handlebar.

K_50":3cpgwhan said:

Is that the Copenhagen Island Hotel in the background in picture 1?

I think these pictures were taken just behind the mall, it's a nice place this time of year. Odd to see such a nice retrobike out in the city, so many of the horrid shopper type things around. Often though as I was wandering around the city it would be nice to commute on a retro. Haven't been for over a year now and i doubt i'll be going back anytime soon either now.

drcarlos":u5airta0 said:
K_50":u5airta0 said:

Is that the Copenhagen Island Hotel in the background in picture 1?

I think these pictures were taken just behind the mall, it's a nice place this time of year. Odd to see such a nice retrobike out in the city, so many of the horrid shopper type things around. Often though as I was wandering around the city it would be nice to commute on a retro. Haven't been for over a year now and i doubt i'll be going back anytime soon either now.

Close, but no cigar. That picture was taken one the other side of the harbour, so what you're seeing is Havneholmen, the neighbourhood in front of the mall.
When the weather is like this, Copenhagen is one of my favourite places to be. The other 200 days a year when it's grey and/or rainy can be a real drag, though.
And a retro with slicks or a light thread is the perfect commuter, if you ask me - reasonably light and fast, but still able to handle cobblestones, and curb jumps when some twat (usually a middle-aged woman who thinks wearing a helmet makes her a safe cyclist, or someone with a kid on the back of the bike) pulls out in front of you without looking back first. That is why I sold my road bike - it was stupid fast, but I was afraid to taco a wheel doing 40+ kph.

Back