1994 Stumpjumper FS restoration and upgrade

flipwils11

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
My original 1994 Stumpjumper FS that I bought new my Freshman year of college is finally getting some major attention. The goal was to finish off the turquoise Ringle components I couldn't afford back in the day, add some other blue upgrades, and upgrade to Shimano XTR which I always lusted after but couldn't afford. I also wanted to give the frame some attention, stripping it and powdercoating it close to the original green. The upgrades I did back in the day, most of them, are staying; Raceface cranks, the Ringle hubs and Sun wheels, Machine Tech brakes, and because I couldn't find anything I really liked, kept the beat up titanium Ritchey WCS pedals. The Judy XC, XT components, and other misc will get removed. A few items I've done in the last 5 years will go (WTB seat, XT bottom bracket, tires) and a few items will stay (Cane Creek headset).

The bike in its original form before the build.

before-IMG_1367.JPG

before-IMG_1368.JPG

before-IMG_1369.JPG

before-image52.jpeg

before-image53.jpeg

before-image54.jpeg

The parts:

parts-image33.jpeg

parts-image4.jpeg

parts-image41.jpeg

parts-image6.jpeg

parts-IMG_1467.JPG

New decals and frame repainting.

parts-image3.jpeg

parts-image23.jpeg

parts-image5.jpeg

Re:

How did the build go? Well, it turned out the mag21 based FSX wouldn't fit on the large Ringle front hub. So that was a setback and a mad scramble for an alternative (Judy FSX).

The powdercoating turned out nice but the frame required some sanding and trimming around the bottom bracket, head tube, and rear brake mounts. The 68mm XTR bottom bracket I got didn't work so I had to find another new old stock XTR, in 73mm. And it took me longer than I thought to find some blue-wall tires I liked enough.

And the turquoise XTR rear derailler bolt caused hang-up issues so we had to go back to use the original bolt.

build-image42.jpeg

build-image44.jpeg

Re:

And the completed result.

Frame: Specialized Stumpjumper FS, steel, 1994

Fork: Judy FSX

Headset: Cane Creek
Stem: Ringle
Handlebar: Radical
Grips: ESI
Barends: Bontrager magnesium

Brakes: Machine Tech Canti's
Brake Pads: Koolstop
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Avid
Brake Levers: Shimano XTR M910

Shifters: Shimano XTR M910
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XTR M900
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano XTR M900
Chain: Shimano XTR
Cranks: Race Face
Chainrings: Moonhead
Chainring bolts: unknown
Bottom Bracket: Shimano XTR M900
Pedals: Ritchey WCS titanium

Hub Skewers: Ringle
Rims: Sun CR17A
Hubs: Ringle
Nipples: unknown
Spokes: Marwai titanium
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC Pro TLC

Saddle: Flite Kevlar Titanium
Seatpost: Ringle
Seatpost skewer: Ringle

Weight: 23.2

completed-image11.jpeg

completed-image12.jpeg

completed-image13.jpeg

completed-image14.jpeg

completed-image1.jpeg

completed-image2.jpeg

completed-image3.jpeg

completed-image4.jpeg

completed-image5.jpeg

Great work on your stumpy! I would like it even more with glossy paint as it was before but this one gives it that military kind of undestructable look :)

I am surprised that your turqouise bolt didn't work; are you sure you placed everything as you did with the original bolt? I have m900 with exact same anodised bolt and mine works great.

I didn't do the build, but the guy at my bike shop showed me how the derailer wasn't working through its travel correctly and he attributed it to a tiny, maybe 1mm, difference in those ridges in the stock XTR bolt vs the turquoise. Maybe the turquoise won't work on a long-cage XTR M900 derailer.

That is strange. The lenght of the cage has nothing to do with that bolt. I think that you should place that torqouise bolt in since it nicely completes the color scheme.

I don't know if we are allowed to paste links from other web pages but I couldn't find rd disassembly here. I found it on here: http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-hel ... r-overhaul

Try it yourself because it doesn't require any special tools and it takes about 5 mins to complete. I would also suggest that you place that rubber ring from original bolt to the new one.

Back