1994 Saracen Kili Flyer

Re:

So now the build could begin in earnest...

I was originally going to go with a Hope headset, but as these weren't around for another ten years after the frame was manufactured, I decided to go with an Orbit in the end.

afJmu6xl.jpg

64apbwRl.jpg

The frame came with a UN71 bottom bracket, but unfortunately the axle is way too long for the crank I have.

I am on the look out for a suitable offering from Hope, Middleburn or Royce but in the meantime a UN55 unit has been fitted to allow use of the STX RC cranks.

anSVpExl.jpg

These are a bit 'special'. as they have a Pace adapter which allows for the fitting of standard compact rings (the STX cranks have their own unique fitting)

This allegedly makes for a stiffer, lighter crank than the same period XTR offering.

I'm not convinced, but they do make for a nice change from Shimano - or Middleburn to keep up the British theme.

Pkg3mlMl.jpg

1kXK0zxl.jpg

Re:

I've swapped the canti brake bridge off my original pair of U.S.E. forks onto the NOS pair (These have the correct steerer for this build).

p4RgzJgl.jpg

...and have hung them off the frame with a Pace stem and U.S.E. bar and bar end combo,

AXsBFRkl.jpg

I've fitted a U.S.E. seatpost topped off with a Flite Titanium saddle. (I'll keep my eyes open for a suitable X-Lite seat)

Shifting is curtesy of Sachs Wavey shifters while braking duties are via X-Lite Chicken Stix levers.

S1fjn2ml.jpg

UDinJVDl.jpg

More to come, so watch this space. :D

Coming along nicely :cool:

Are you going to cut that brand new steerer :shock: having said that, now they have been fitted they are no longer nos :LOL: wish i had bought a pair of those now, never rode a pair so interested to hear what you think of them.

Also curious as to what wheels you choose, either Pace or Hope im guessing :)

What colour X-lite seat are you looking for? i come across them now and again so will keep my eye out for one.

Mark

mkone":ycjcbtk5 said:
Coming along nicely :cool:

Cheers chap. I'm pleased with progress so far.

you going to cut that brand new steerer :shock: having said that, now they have been fitted they are no longer nos :LOL: wish i had bought a pair of those now, never rode a pair so interested to hear what you think of them.

Steerer is already cut, :shock: so there's no going back now!

I've got a spare pair of forks, the later set with red, white & blue decals are surplus to requirements really. I was going to hang onto them but could be persuaded to part with them. :D . Steerer is 11/8" unthreaded. It's been cut, but it still has plenty of length left in it. Let me know if its of interest. ;)

curious as to what wheels you choose, either Pace or Hope im guessing :)

:D

What colour X-lite seat are you looking for? i come across them now and again so will keep my eye out for one.

Thanks. :cool: All black ideally, but most of the ones I've seen had either the red or blue kevlar corners. I have vague recollection of one with grey corners, but I might be imagining it. Not sure about red, but I'd consider blue (I think)

Re:

So next up....

OyD0qIXl.jpg

I had an XT M737 rear mech put aside. Well used, but in reasonably good condition with an SRP breakaway bolt.

Wheels are Mavic 217 SUP rims in champagne (my favourite colour for these), with an M737 rear hub and cassette.

c0IoeTYl.jpg

Hope provide the front Suspension Hub...

lIIkEKyl.jpg

9EKHMG4l.jpg

Wheels are stopped from falling off by U.S.E. Spin Stix

I'd like a Hope Ti Glide for the rear to match the front, but that will have to wait until a suitable example comes up.

Re: Re:

MR OX":u1ymok1k said:
That is rather lovely :cool:
Looking forward to seeing more!

Cheers chap.

Brakes next, and I have an M737 front mech on the way (Stupidly sold one I had at Mayhem last summer- always the way :facepalm: )

Then cabling up and it should be done for now. I need to speak to Gil about some replacement decals too.

Also on the look out for a more suitable bottom bracket and the aforementioned Hope rear hub.

Oh, and a chain. :roll: :D

Re:

Always the way! I'm about to get stuck in on my next build which is using M737 gears luckily I've not had the heart to part out my cracked E3 until now so it's going to be doing some donations!

Re:

So Gil has come up trumps (yet again) with some replacement decals...

fzNigFNl.jpg

...and I have fitted some STX RC cant's

FPR35fDl.jpg

QbxD4RNl.jpg

Cabled up with some spare outer I had left over from the Clockwork build.

Re:

Which means, for now, it's finished!

Frame: 1994 Saracen Kili Flyer

Fork: U.S.E. Stealth

Headset: FSA Orbit XL
Stem: Pace
Handlebar: U.S.E. Alloy
Grips: Sachs
Barends: U.S.E. Alloy

Brakes: Shimano STX RC
Brake Pads: Shimano STX
Brake Cables:Jagwire