1994 Raleigh DynaTech Diablo

Re: ADVICE ...

My advice would be, keep the UGLI's on it, and sell the RC35's to me for forty quid!!

;)

Re: ADVICE ...

k-rod":2xn1mrl1 said:
My advice would be, keep the UGLI's on it, and sell the RC35's to me for forty quid!!

;)
Well, I'm starting to think that the soul of this bike is really in the colour-matched UGLI forks and stem, so I think I'm probably going to set about moving the RC35's on sooner or later as I've got no other use for them... but was hoping for a little more than forty quid :)

The Pace forks have now gone to a happy new owner - UGLIs it is then. In other news, I've had these tyres on my mind for some time for this bike, finally got hold of a nice pair. Could work, could look awful - will find out soon. Also decided it's time to put the polished M960 chainset to some use :)

Attachments

• IMG_4436 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_4436 (Custom).JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 869
  • IMG_6425 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_6425 (Custom).JPG
    88.4 KB · Views: 869
Nice bike mate!
I agree with that fork related decision ;)

May I suggest same color saddle and grips? :)

Right, I didn't get as much time to work on the Dyna Tech as I thought over the holiday period, and in the end I didn't make as many changes as expected. But here's a picture of it in its new road configuration - since the last update I've added a pair of Conti GP 1.0" rustwall slicks, Conit supersonic inner tubes, XTR M960 chainset and BB93 BB, Dura Ace 12-27 Cassette, KMC X9SL chain, LX M570 STI, and a Charge Knife Ti. I didn't get the cabling finished before I had to stop work on it. As you can see, its current weight is almost exactly 9.0kg with one or two bits of cable left to fit - that's sub-20lbs!

I decided against replacing the stem and bar with an EC90 and Syntace F99. The all-black look just didn't go and the Ti bar already feels pretty light. The Raleigh stem is definitely heavy but it's also long (must be 135-140mm?) and the F99 at 120mm didn't seem as good a fit. The matching finish is also part of the appeal of the bike. I tried green Wildgrippers on it but it just didn't go, which was a bit of a relief as they were a bit too heavy for my liking anyway. So it's back to the Kenda 345s for when it's set up for MTB use.

To replace next time will be a lighter silver seatpost and a better front mech (I had an M950 ready to fit but didn't realise the tube diameter was 28.6, not 31.:cool:. I also fancy replacing the M972 long cage rear mech with a shiny Dura Ace (7800 I think) but the mid-cage versions are hard to find. Then I think it'll be finished :)

Attachments

• IMG_6917 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_6917 (Custom).JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 811
  • IMG_6913 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_6913 (Custom).JPG
    198.4 KB · Views: 812
That's looking really impressive mate although i'm not a fan of skinny tyres on an mtb but i do understand it suits the purpose better then the usual fat tyre choice and either the battery has run out in your scales or the damn daylight has affected the picture :shock: .

Anyway i'm looking forward to reading your next update hopefully with feedback regarding how the bike rides as i suspect it will feel rather twitchy with the skinny tyres on and pretty quick off the mark too ;) ..

Cheers :) The skinny slicks on this one look better than on some I think (they always look rubbish with suspension forks!) The rustwalls of the old Conti's keep that retro look too. And the plan is to be able to swap out the wheels to another set fitted with knobblies and a matching ratio cassette for a quick road/MTB turnaround.

The XTR crankset is superlight and stiff but for appearance I think it would really suit something a bit more slender (Middleburns maybe, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to go back to square taper BBs?), and the XTR rear mech really needs to go for a Dura Ace mid-cage if I can find one.

The weight is showing 9.015kg (I can just about make it out in the photo if I tilt my laptop screen a bit!)

Tbh mate i shouldn't really comment on those skinny tyres while looking on my net book as i'm obviously not getting as good a quality pic as you are judging by your comment regards tilting your lappy to see the reading on the digi scales display because i can tilt the screen as much or as litlle as i want on my net book and i still can't make anything out :( ..

I look forward to seeing the bike later on with the other wheel and gear setup on and yes i agree that the square taper setup has it's issues but surely the main reason the crankset looks a little too bulky is due to it being offset against the skinny tyres but only by putting nobby's on will you know if that truly is the case mate .

I love the idea of using a middle cage Dura ace rear mech as they are really good units and it was in last November that i was looking on the bay and spotted a Mid caged Dura ace rear mech so they are about but you just need to keep your eyes peeled ..

I finally got this build as finalised as I want it to be. Recent changes since the last update are the USE seatpost with purple clamp, Dura Ace rear mech lightly purplified, Dura Ace 7700 12-27t cassette, XT M750 front mech, XTR M970 shifters, XT M770 crankset, Avid Speed Dial SL levers, and Avid SD7 V-brakes. Also some ultlralight bar ends.

Weight is now down to 8.48kg as pictured, which would be pretty much 8.4kg exactly (18.5lbs) with the bar ends and Garmin mount removed.

It's super-fast on the road (great small gears for steep hills in the area!) but I also have a spare wheelset (X517s on XT hubs) set up with the same ratio cassette and the Kenda Klimax Lite 345g tyres for a quick switch to an offroad setup.

Attachments

• IMG_9650 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_9650 (Custom).JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 511
  • IMG_9645 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_9645 (Custom).JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_9646 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_9646 (Custom).JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_9649 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_9649 (Custom).JPG