1994 Raleigh DynaTech Diablo

A few changes since it was last photographed - I've given it a Charge Spoon and a set of new Maxlight 345g tyres, plus a few more purple bits I did a while back (SRP crank bolts and blanking bolts for the rack mounts may be visible if you look carefully).

The weight, if you're interested, is 10.60kg = 23lbs 6oz.

Attachments

• IMG_5888 (Custom).JPG
    IMG_5888 (Custom).JPG
    172.8 KB · Views: 747
very nice, attractive bike with very nice setup.
And that Charge Spoon looks good! How does it compare to say the WTB or a Flite?

I recently decided to change to Spoons on my two MTBs and a Knife for the road bike. I've always had sit bone trouble with almost every saddle I've had. Never got on at all with Flites and the best I'd used until recently was the WTB Rocket V (Shadow V for the road bike). But I'd still feel that like crazy for a good couple of days after a ride. I tried a Knife on my road bike after reading lots of good things and never looked back - my first ride with it was probably the first time I've ever done a good length ride and not noticed the saddle. I'd happily put one on this only the Spoons are just such good value - I picked this one up used but immaculate for about a tenner. Not done a long ride on the Spoon yet but all the indications are very good so far...

Fatal Swan":26tr4r6s said:
I recently decided to change to Spoons on my two MTBs and a Knife for the road bike. I've always had sit bone trouble with almost every saddle I've had. Never got on at all with Flites and the best I'd used until recently was the WTB Rocket V (Shadow V for the road bike). But I'd still feel that like crazy for a good couple of days after a ride. I tried a Knife on my road bike after reading lots of good things and never looked back - my first ride with it was probably the first time I've ever done a good length ride and not noticed the saddle. I'd happily put one on this only the Spoons are just such good value - I picked this one up used but immaculate for about a tenner. Not done a long ride on the Spoon yet but all the indications are very good so far...
Thanks for that! I'd never considered Charge saddles before, so food for though!
Thanks!

This year and model Diablo has to be one of (if not THE) best looking Raleighs ever sold. I've been avidly watching ebay for one to appear in 19", for the past few years, no luck yet though.

Decision time! I'm going to reunited with this bike for the Christmas holiday and some changes are planned. I really like riding this bike, though I do find the 7-speed setup a bit clunky by modern standards. I also want to use it both on the road and on the tracks while I do the family visits, so decided on a solution of upgrading to a more modern 9-speed setup and investing in a second set of wheels to fit with slicks for a quick road/MTB changeover. So the first phase of the plan is:

Another set of wheels I've picked up - mismatched XT M770 and Bontrager RaceXXXlight, but they're around 1550g for the pair so I'm pretty impressed with that. Conti GP 1" folding slicks, 200g each. Conti Supersonic tubes, 65g each. For the cassette I've got a 12-27 Dura Ace 7700 (180g!). That should be a really lightweight setup for the road, though the gearing's not ideal of course with a 22-32-44 up front.

The rest of the spec changes as follows - on the current wheelset a 12-27 Ultegra 6500 cassette replaces the 7-speed. Mid-cage 9-speed rear mech (Ultegra/DA/XTR probably), XTR M950 front mech, 112g. Chainset-wise it's time to get some use from a lovely polished M960 chainset, overkill but hey... I've got a set of XT M750 STIs for the shifters and the XT V-brakes can stay I guess.

The rest of the changes are causing more headaches though. I've got a Charge Knife that will save 50g over the Spoon, and that's decided. The real decision is whether to fit this nice set of Pace RC35s that I bought recently (with no other bike to put them on!). They are 1500g-ish and will add weight, and I don't really need them for the use this bike gets, but I think it would be nice to have them on. But is it sacrilege to replace the UGLIs? :) Even with modern components I think that would radically change the appearance that I've got quite fond of - the stem would then probably be changed for a black one, and I've got an EC90 carbon flat bar ready too... That would be a bit of change mainly to get some use out of the RC35s, just not sure whether to go for it... Advice? :)

Attachments

• P1020786 (Custom).JPG
    P1020786 (Custom).JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 653
Re:

Priceless, you didn't mention that you had this Dyna-Tech when I was at yours on Sun! I had this exact model in 93/4 (but in 17") and my Dad still has his LX model (the red version) now. The only upgrade I made BITD was a flite saddle and some decent tyres. I even raced it once or twice. Although, with hind sight, I probably shouldn't have traded in my Colnago Super frame set for it (even though the Colnago was a early 80s model in shocking condition) :facepalm: the stupid things you do in your teens. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Re: Re:

LDP":33izkazq said:
Priceless, you didn't mention that you had this Dyna-Tech when I was at yours on Sun!
Hehe... it's the only retrobike I currently own now, and it lives up north with the inlaws so I can get out on it when we do the long trek up there with the kids. Whenever we're planning a stay there I always look forward to taking it out as well as planning new upgrades with each visit!

Re: Re:

LDP":fh1q0w7w said:
Priceless, you didn't mention that you had this Dyna-Tech when I was at yours on Sun! I had this exact model in 93/4 (but in 17") and my Dad still has his LX model (the red version) now. The only upgrade I made BITD was a flite saddle and some decent tyres. I even raced it once or twice. Although, with hind sight, I probably shouldn't have traded in my Colnago Super frame set for it (even though the Colnago was a early 80s model in shocking condition) :facepalm: the stupid things you do in your teens. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Ooh, I love the 94 Dynatechs. Got any pics of the red one by any chance?

Back