1994 Mtn Cycle San Andreas - Spectrachromed! - FINISHED Pg.7

Dhphat":1dahctew said:
Alex Creasey":1dahctew said:
I only bought the frame & forks... The built bike in the 2nd pic was just the inspiration for what I want to do :cool:.

Cool, do you already have the parts for it? Or are you still looking?

I've got everything I need to build the bike as soon as I get my mitts on it :)

san an

very nice wow

how are you going to see on sunny days?]

price please on chrome painting (Never even heard of chrome paint Hmmmmmmm given me idea's)

That is a great job on the frame! The downsite is that you always need to wear sunglasses while riding it :LOL: :LOL:

I think this is one of the best frames for a paintjob like this! looking forward to the rest of the build.

lol... I have sunglasses prepared. Assuming we see some sun this year :LOL:.
I was asked if I wanted any tint in the paint to tame it a little or to go slightly more smoked chrome or black chrome... Also you can mix and match colours into the finish as well. So for example you could go for a Klein style colour fade paint job but in chrome! Anyway, thats ideas for another project ;)....

i have always been put off the idea of chrome paint but that is very impressive indeed.

what is involved in the process? i assume the job is prepped as per a usual respray. is the chrome then wet sanded flat? just looking at the swingarm pic - the outside is silky smooth and mirror finish but the inside surfaces are rippled slightly. is that because the inside is yet to be flatted back down?

is it then lacquered?

looks really good. just dont try polishing it with autosol!

I think the edge so to speak will be taken off a bit when the decals are fitted...
You may be able to look at it without dark glasses then :LOL: :cool: :cool:

You can add a clearcoat layer over the top of everything if you wish but you don't have to... From what I understand it's normally an undercoat if required, chrome basecoat, middle metal silvering coat and chrome topcoat... The topcoat is also where where any colour tint can be added. I *think* thats about right anyway lol.

As for the smooth / slightly rippled finish I'm not sure, I still haven't seen it for myself, it may just be a case that it was applyed a bit thick in that area, he had said he'd done sections a couple of times where he wasn't happy with the finish so will have to be patient till the weekend but will post my own pics once it's here :).

As for an alternative to anodising, I guess it could be for sure... you can spray anything... I already have a few car related bits for him to do so will see how they turn out.

Cheers :).

Back