1994 GT Timberline FS

:D I've never seen another FS. That's excellent!

I'm no expert but looking at Bikepedia I'd say it's 1995... In Candy Evergreen.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/Bike ... &Type=bike

The frame looks identical to mine, but that looks like an STX rear mech, mine had an Alivio one... Also the chainset is different to mine too. My then riding partner had that chainset on his bike... A 1995 model.

Nice to see it with the original fork too. Something I never had on mine.

thanks for the info! Candy Evergreen! I love it! I thought the bike was around a 97, but I'll go with a 95! I have yet to see another bike with the handlebars like this...is it rare? Any ideas on tuning up the front shock?

The ergo style bars were quite popular on some bikes at the time... I've seen Tequestas and Timberlines with the same ones and I had a set of ultra light Zoom Brahma bars on the bike I owned before I got my Timberline... I took the set off my GT and binned them at some point in the 90s... They were steel and quite weighty in my case.

Actually quite tempted to replace them with a similar set now, although they're a little narrower than I like on bikes now.

I think the Quad 5's where a simple Elastomer suspension design, much like my Manitou fork... In that case, the only real tuning you can do is swap out the elastomers and service the fork... Others on here will no doubt know more about the specifics of the Rock Shox fork.

I too think they are bit narrow for my tastes...but at this point, I'm keeping it original..and the seats a bit hard for my old butt! I think yr right on the fork...I make take it to the fix it guy down the street for a good tune up.

I sold my most modern bike effectively making this my main ride for the time being... And what happens when your main bike is 17 years old and a bit grumpy?... Yep, the freehub is knackered... It made for an entertaining, if shin bashing, ride around Delamere today.

Suspect I'll have to source a decent s/h rear wheel (the whole lot is knackered to be honest).

I'm enjoying making it look a bit gaudy with blue bits :LOL:
Forgot how good having a set of bar ends is to be honest.

Attachments

• IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 2,854
In all the years I rode this bike I don't think I ever had a photo of me riding it... So in honour of it's 17th birthday (and in honour of me wrecking the powerspline BB on my modern bike) I took it to Delamere and, despite having all the braking power of an ocean going liner, I rode it down some hills.

It's currently sporting the Saracen's wheels (hence the reflectors, the Saracen sports a full set) as the freehub on the originals finally gave up and I quite liked the look of the black rims on it.

As for the day of riding, there's something about this bike that really brings out the hooligan in me, I was hopping it off roots, doing steep drops I wouldn't normally look at, powering along the fire trails... It really was a lot of fun.

Thanks to my friend Ali for the photos...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 2,670
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 2,669
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 2,670
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 2,670
Great read bud, love to hear updates you give after each ride. There's nothing like "your" old bike coming back home.

Good to see that you've not splashed loads of cash at it and change only when needed.

Matt

Re:

Hi Timberline Friends,

Sorry to dig up and old thread, but I'm in the middle of restoring my 1993 GT Timberline (non-suspension fork) and I need to know what diameter the seatpost is? Reason being I've misplaced the original post and I had to use caustic soda to dissolve the suspension seatpost I had because it broke but got jammed into the frame! After lots of Google searching I've narrowed it down to either 26.4mm or 26.8mm.

Anyone know or care to measure their seatpost with some calipers?

Thanks!

Re:

In answer to my own question above, the seatpost diameter on my 1994 GT TIMBERLINE is 26.8mm.

I bought a Brand-X 6061-T6 Aluminium Inline Post from Chain Reaction Cycles and it fits a treat! Although I still had the original GT seat it was looking a bit battered and faded, so I was really pleased to find a brand new GT saddle on eBay, which had been removed from new bike.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/bran ... prod120294

Back