1994 GT Timberline FS

All the highland cattle were hiding today. There's normally about 10 in the field behind the bike here.

At one point I overheard some kid go 'That bike's sick! Old GT'
I detected a hint of sarcasm, but I was happy.

Attachments

• IMAG0123.jpg
    IMAG0123.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 7,612
When I got this bike I had a plan to put purple anodised bits on it.
I started at the old pedals and never got much further.

Purple bar ends?

The bike is pretty much ready to go now, there'll be future updates but the addition of new shifters means it's rideable.

Not authentic in the slightest... Built to be ridden around my neighbourhood. It now has parts of Alivio, STX, STX RC and LX on it. Ironically probably would have happened to it in the 90s had I had the cash.

So here's the spec:

Frame: GT Timberline 4130 Chromalloy

Fork: Manitou Mach 5 Comp (Pro Outers)

Headset: Shimano STX
Stem: Zoom Chromalloy
Handlebar: Bikehut Alloy
Grips: Unbranded
Barends: N/A but coming soon

Brakes: STX (Thanks Retrokona)
Brake Pads: M-System
Brake Cables: Sithlord Specials
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano
Brake Levers: Shimano STX RC

Shifters: Shimano STX RC
Front Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
Derailleur Cables: Sithlord Specials
Cassette: Shimano Alivio
Chain: Taya Chain
Cranks: Shimano Alivio (In all bolts & rings)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano el-cheapo.
Pedals: Unbranded from my Avalanche

Hub Skewers: 'Outpost' branded *
Rims: Araya *
Hubs: Alivio rear, unbranded front (can't get the MBUK Club Roost sticker off the front :LOL:) *
Tyres: Michelin Mildgripper PR *

Saddle: GT Gel *
Seatpost: Kalloy *
Seatpost Binder: Cheapo QR *

Weight: Yes... It weighs like only an entry level 90s GT could... 29lbs according to my scales but it has to be more..

* denotes potential future upgrades

Attachments

• IMGP4732.JPG
    IMGP4732.JPG
    115.9 KB · Views: 7,557
  • IMGP4730.JPG
    IMGP4730.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 7,556
Linoleum":2pjs6qyd said:
Great updates and pictures, fun to watch. I say throw some skinwall tires on it and it'll look great!

I used to run grey Tioga Psycho 2's on this.
Wouldn't mind a set of black ones again. Pity they don't make them with the amber walls anymore.

I did 14 road miles on this yesterday.
I don't know whether I love the mechanical gremlins or hate them :LOL:

After 7 miles and at the furthest point from home I heard a whirring... Looked down to see the top jockey wheel on the rear mech had unbolted itself. Fortunately, the bolt was still holding the wheel in the mech at an angle and I had a selection of allen keys.

Other teething probs from it's first two outings:
* After it's first outing the whole headset had worked it's way loose. Either incorrectly tightened or the fork threads are busted, I suspected they were damaged earlier in the build. I will continue to monitor them.
* Either I didn't tighten the fork leg bolts, or they came loose at some point. Tightened up after it's first ride and stayed tight on the second one
* Both wheels are slightly buckled. I trued most of the problems with the rear wheel out, but my wheel truing skills match my ironing skills and my shirt looks like I was dragged through a bush.
* On the first ride I rode with only the old rear Alivio shifter, by the second I'd got the new STX ones... In the process of changing them over I appear to have frayed the gear cable so that'll have to go.

It was a giggle trying to complete a ride while simultaneously fiddling with the gear shifter to get the thing in the gear I wanted though.

Will need to build some confidence in it before I can take it to Delamere.... While remembering that my stopping distances on cantilevers aren't quite as optimistic as with V-Brakes.

Took this round Delamere today... 20 miles or there abouts. Great fun too. I actually don't feel quite as shattered as I have done on the Avalanche lately. Although I did miss the 32 tooth ring up at the rear once or twice.

No major mechanical issues aside from the rear cones being a bit knackered... Slightly wobbly. Oh and the chain occasionally slipped. I can live with that until I have a few quid for replacements.

Pic below is of the bike at the 'cycle skills' area... I rode it down the 4X heh. Dodged the lions share of the jumps though.

Attachments

• IMAG0158.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 6,979
Great looking bike and a great write up :D

Pleased to see you both re-united and enjoying time together again ;)

Looks like you have been having fun over the last few months.

Proves you dont have to spend tons on a bike and its parts to get enjoyment from riding.

Nice one.

A similar story here...sold my GT to a friend at least 7 years ago...recently became interested again, come to find its been in storage since the sale! I hate to say I dont recall what year the bike is...any thoughts?...btw, its all original except for the back tire. here is a pic!

Attachments

• 38699_417304466777_741981777_4831498_5903330_n.jpg
    38699_417304466777_741981777_4831498_5903330_n.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 6,864
Back