97 GT Timberline

GTLoz

GT Fan
After 3 days working on the garden with the wife, I had a bit of bike tinkering time. My old GT Timberline (my first proper mountain bike) has been looking rather sorry for itself lately with more surface rust appearing every time I look at it. So the time came for a strip down. The question is, do I lightly sand and treat rust then wax or clear coat to keep the "patina", or full respray and graphics. Appreciate the frame is not that exotic, but having owned for 25 years sentimental value is high. 20230410_185518.jpg 20230410_185548.jpg 20230410_185536.jpg

The tin worms need treatment or it won't be long lived. Rubbing down etc on the areas will ruin the patina anyway, so I'd go for a full cure process and then enjoy your 25yr old friend like it was the first day.

First thing I'd do is clean it with T-cut, super resin polish or similar then assess just how bad the rust/paintwork really is. Look after the original finish if possible.

Strip it down and paint it. That will afford you the opportunity to fully inspect the frame and address any areas with heavy oxidation. Fresh paint and components will yield you a bike that looks factory fresh and rides like a dream.

A good rust treatment product will contain phosphoric acid. Look for metal prep or calcium/lime/rust removers to inhibit the oxidation. Wash and dry thoroughly, especially inside the tubes before paint.

Take your time. It will be worth the effort.

Back