1993 Lotus Sport Monocoque

Re:

OK for completeness here were the other two wheel choices. The spin's do look good but I think the contrast of the carbon weave of the Spinergy's and the frame edge it for me.

46471221554_331a31fbbe_c.jpg

47195220911_731e45331b_c.jpg

47137009262_69715fe594_c.jpg

In my view, think the curved shape of the spins fit better with the frame than the more straight lines of the Spinergys.

But I guess it's just a matter of taste. Like you say, the carbon finish should also be taken into consideration.

The Shimano wheels fit quite nice too actually! But they're not period correct, so that makes them a no-go in my eyes.

mtbmaniac":1j4hqr0k said:
In my view, think the curved shape of the spins fit better with the frame than the more straight lines of the Spinergys.

But I guess it's just a matter of taste. Like you say, the carbon finish should also be taken into consideration.

The Shimano wheels fit quite nice too actually! But they're not period correct, so that makes them a no-go in my eyes.

He’s right your frame is basically three arc’s - main Frame spar - seat spar - rear ! The Spins follow the same order of three - but somehow (for me) they compete with the frame rather than compliment it
Plus for me the fork adds the fourth spar - so three or four spokes ?

The Shimano would be a good stand in and no one would flame you for using them - if that’s all you had, but since you’ve alternatives I take them out of the equation

Your choice - fit them and let them talk to you over 24hrs by going away and coming back and going by your first impression
One will speak louder than the other even if it’s by just whisper

Just promise one thing - don’t swap the amber walls for black wall.

Retro Spud":17qd22n4 said:
Your choice - fit them and let them talk to you over 24hrs by going away and coming back and going by your first impression
One will speak louder than the other even if it’s by just whisper

Just promise one thing - don’t swap the amber walls for black wall.

Good advice and don't worry all my pre '97 bikes must have amberwalls. Anything else is just plain wrong :shock:

Re:

I think I agree with spud the spins detract from the frame because the lines are too similar where at the spinergy’s compliment the frame material but don’t complete with the frames lines.

Re: Re:

Timoth27":2rlsaxxe said:
I think I agree with spud the spins detract from the frame because the lines are too similar where at the spinergy’s compliment the frame material but don’t complete with the frames lines.

I think both of your observations are spot on but I couldn't have put it quite as eloquently as you did, and don't worry, I still have a few bikes to do where the spins will look excellent :D
I was expecting the Spins to be the first choice because of their flowing lines but I didn't know until I had seen all the wheels in place.

If you’re canvassing opinions, my personal thoughts are that the three spoke look so well balanced with that frame.
Although in themselves, the Ford Capri style four spoked are super cool.

Re:

Trial fitted some old magura's on the front fork so I could align the mounts. I wasn't sure that the mounts would fit as they were designed for RC35 MXCD's but they fit perfectly and really happy that the anodiser has been able to match the Pace grey so well.

47145764462_9f7f20b28a_c.jpg

Still pondering wheel choice :D

Re: Re:

yakboy":g1oyw0st said:
OK for completeness here were the other two wheel choices. The spin's do look good but I think the contrast of the carbon weave of the Spinergy's and the frame edge it for me.

46471221554_331a31fbbe_c.jpg

These. For me, I think their being more visually delicate (few thin spokes) add a sense of tension that really balances with the frame

Back