1993 Kona Lava Dome 19" - too large?

Re:

Something else that is worthwile is getting a cheap indoor trainer thing to mount yer bike on. Get a cheap wheel off someone with a slick or just put up with the knobbly noise. None of it has to be top draw or shift properly as it is just for sitting on to pedal away and adjust saddles and bars. Just one gear needs to work with some added load to roughly replicate riding.

I found it really helps setup as it is a controlled environment without your mind being taken off the job by cars,dogs,etc. . I put a stool next to the bike with some allen keys on it and while staying on the bike i made adjustements without getting off. Get someone to film you or set up a camera to film you whilst you pedal. From the side to check your back and kneck and from the front if you have knee/ankle pains so you can see what feet and legs are doing through a pedal stroke.

As above... the number 19" doesnt mean an awful lot. Old school road frames that had a seat tube length that was much the same as the top tube and same angles for the seat and head tubes were easier to match to various bodies with stems and bars. Since top tubes started sloping and frames being measured differently by different manufacturers it all got a bit messy.

F

Re:

Because of all the sloping top tube shenanigans, a lot of maunufacturers these days suggest that you use stack and reach to determine fit:

stck-und-reach.jpg

More info here: https://www.bikeradar.com/features/your ... rrelevant/, which shows you how you can measure it and perhaps compare it to an existing bike and get your saddle and handlebars in similar a position relative to one another. A shorter stem and maybe a longer steerer tube, easier with a quill stem. I would avoid fitting forks with a longer axle to crown measurement, this can make the steering feel very peculiar.

The touble with a lot of early 90s MTBs is that they were designed to be long and low and have a racey riding position, similar to being in the drops on a road bike. Great for bendy 20 year olds and a short blast around the woods, not so good for creaky 50 somethings that want to pootle about for a few hours. :D

Back