1993 Kona Explosif

explosif_fan

Old School Hero
I built this for riding to work on as a no nonsence bike with minimal maintainence. I have had it for years meaning to do something with it, I think of it as the last of the proper Konas before they started doing the "thumbs up" graphics. Componentry choice is mainly due to all my left over bits and spares from years ago which I have hung onto, it`s not a pristine retro build by any meansm, hence no matching components

I have abandoned the P2`s / impact headset as I wanted something which would be zero hassle, hence the Chris King. The same goes for the Thomson post.

I`ll take some proper photos once I am happy with it; And the seatpost isn't quite as high as it looks :LOL:

Frame - Kona Explosif 1993
Forks - Pace RC30
Headset - Chris king
Stem - Control Tech
Bars - Answer Hyperlite
Seatpost - Thomson Elite
Saddle - Flite titanium
Wheels - Hope XC on Mavic 517, tyres no name I found lying around
Chainset - Middleburn RS2 / Middleburn rings
Pedal DMR V12 magnesium

Rear mech - Deore XT 737
Front mech - Deore XT 737 (not fitted yet!)
Shifters - Deore XT 737
Cassette - Deore XT 8spd

BB - Deore XT UN72
Brakes / levers Deore XT 737 V`s

dds151.jpg

I think of it as the last of the proper Konas before they started doing the "thumbs up" graphics

Indeed, a really nice piece of kit that..look forward to seeing it when it's finished.. Shame about the P2's though as a Kona just isn't a Kona without them....

i always think kona's look strange if they haven't got p2's in them, not that the pace fork isn't a nice substitute though! :D

i assume you had to change the fork because you went ahead?

always liked that style of paint though, mine is the model before in black (with slight glitter) but with the p2 fork from 93 in gun metal, lovely to ride though aren't they :D

Hilts":gpfa12bj said:
Indeed, a really nice piece of kit that..look forward to seeing it when it's finished.. Shame about the P2's though as a Kona just isn't a Kona without them....

True, but if I stayed with P2`s that means finding a quality low stack threaded headset. Or fitting later P2`s which would mess up the steering angle. And besides the Pace RC30`s have been kicking around for years so thought I might aswell make use of them :LOL: Basically I wanted a King headset because I have had so many cheap headsets in the past all my bikes have Kings now.

I didnt put it together as a retrobike at all, meerly made the best of what was available to me :D

Back