1993/94 Fastback Single Speed - Scott Pro Racing?

Re:

Sadly the Fishers are all boxed. it certainly shares the same seat tube/stay arrangement as my 90 Montare, yet unless your is Evolution, its doubtful its this. I have a later Model which also shares the same seat/tube stay and join arrangement as well as the cable guide and it doesn't have the Evolution tubing and from memory this dates from 92...which would be a closer bet, this is also a Montare, but using the true temper db tubing instead of the true temper db supersize.

Im confident it came from the same factory whether it left as a Gary fisher is another question altogether.

Does yours have 1"1/4 head tube...?

I'm 90% sure it's 1 1/8" but wouldn't like to say conclusively until I get a chance to double check. I'll makes sure when I'm at home.

Definitely 1 1/8" headtube.

I had a go at vinyl wrapping the frame and I'm glad I did for the experience, but it became clear I wouldn't be able to get the whole thing looking satisfactory so kinda rushed the end so for example the forks are a mess. If the paintwork underneath had have been vaguely respectable I would have covered the tubs and left the joints and that would have been fine.

I will take it to have it powdercoated at some point in the future, but it's been off the road far too long, so it's now rebuilt:

Rebuilt%2Bonce%2Bvinyl%2Bwrapped.JPG

Still needs a bigger chainring. That's 39T and I was running 44T before. The only bigger 130BCD ring I have is 53T, which I;m tempted to try (it's red too!) but not sure I could even move it. So I'll look for a 46T I think.

Also need to replace the saddle, as it's creaking, possibly replace the post with a red one if I can find one I can afford, get some red dustcaps! Grips are on their way too.

I've been riding this again recently. It still spins too much for me though.

Next%2Bto%2Ba%2BKona.jpg

I might try bigger slicks to increase the wheel diameter a touch.

Rebuilt with wider slicks:

bX5gw__iTI41oVVsavuJA8aADvDAoxJxPbAqjQbxKQq7SWv6uf1y__9U9UzJcOxb1tyDuzVifSvIcEA82EbFOnMjWVyt8kNsdDmbgrQ-A61dsvs_HOpghxP_H0pTKr5liDZa9dgfzg=w1194-h895-no

The idea was to test ride it with the new tyres and make a decision where this sits on the hierarchical list so I know whether it will be being put into storage or sold. If I am keeping it, the frame will be stripped and powdercoated, either before or after storage.

Seconds after the photo, one of the spokes decided to snap, taking a brand new innertube with it, so a bit more fixing before a test ride to think about where it ranks in my remaining bikes.

Panaracer RiBMo review:

I have now done 100-150 miles on the new 26 x 1.75 tyres, including one 40 miles ride, so I thought I would post my findings. Due to the time gap between using these and the previous tyres, some of the comparison may be weakened by memory and a reduction in fitness in the intervening period.

Rolling resistance
As far as I can judge, I do get slightly more rolling resistance from these than the previous Continental Grand Prix 26 x 1s. Given I am running these at around 70 psi as opposed to the 110 psi I had in the GPs, the difference doesn't really feel that great and I wouldn't expect the resistance of the GPs to be less running at the same pressure. With the current gearing I still easily spin out on the flat and on my 40 mile ride home from York I only had to get off and run on two of the hills. 7/10

Weight
I am sure I weighed them before I put them on, but I didn't record it. Panaracer claim they are 580g per tyre, which sounds about right. The GPs were around 350g each and I think, so given the increase in size, that's a reasonable increase. They're not lightweight, but certainly not what I'd call heavy. 6/10

Shape
The have a weird profile, which is quite pointed in the centre. Given this is not a particularly flexible tyre, with a low thread count, that profile is maintained under pressure. I would expect that to make the tyres feel like they turn into corners quickly, but actually the turn in feels a bit slower compare to the rounded profiles of tyres such as Schwalbe Marathons. In comparison, the GPs seemed to turn in a little too fast, making them feel a bit unstable. However, what the profile does seem to do is provide a good contact area while cornering and maybe help to reduce the rolling resistance in a straight line.

Grip
I haven't used these in the rain - and generally I will avoid doing so, given my single speed has not mudguards. In the dry, I have been very impressed with the grip. The feel in corners is really good and reassuring, meaning I take sharper corners quicker with these than either the GPs or any of the other various road tyres I use/have used. In a straight line on the road, I haven't yet had any loss of traction either braking quickly or grinding my single speed up hills where it would have been quicker to get off. I also did a few miles on what I thought from the maps was an unclassified road, but turned out the be a track which actually had some wet mud on it. They coped admirably and didn't lose grip in a few mm of softer mud on top of a harder packed surface. So far, 9/10

Cushioning
Given these are bigger volume and lower pressure than the GPs, they offer proportionally more cushioning as would be expected. However, at 70 psi they don't contribute hugely to comfort and given their fairly rigid structure I would say they might offer slightly less than Schwalbe Marathons. It is hard to compare, as the other tyres I have used have been on other bikes and this frame is quite light steel which feels quite springy and is surprisingly comfortable for me, despite it being on the small side within my stable of bikes. 4/10

Puncture protection
150 miles isn't really enough to make a good judgement. So far, not punctures or pinch flats, which is a big step up from the GPs which regularly got pinch flats due to their small width. Testing so far has involved back lanes with some hedge cuttings and a wooded track, but I can't confidently say they will be as good as my Schwalbe Marathons, which have done over 10,000 miles without a puncture (aided by reinforced Hutchinson innertubes). 7/10

Overall
This is based on my needs for this bike. I am really happy with them, keeping a fairly low rolling resistance whilst not adding too much weight. Most importantly, they have reduced the number of punctures (so far) and provide a better level of grip, which makes riding more fun and quicker through corners, even if I am losing a little on the straights. 8/10

Re: Re:

otherself":2l4ealgz said:
Could be a Ridgeback.

Thanks for the suggestion. Any idea what model? Someone mentioned Ridgeback to me before, but I haven't managed to find one with that many similarities. Most the fastback stay ones I have seen have the wrong seat lug.

The most similar looking frames I have found so far (and I still take time to look for matches) are Ritchey P22 / P20 but I still think there were some differences.

If it helps anyone with identification, the seat bolt is threaded on the frame and the seat post size is 30.0mm

Back