1993/94 Fastback Single Speed - Scott Pro Racing?

All of the pictures I can find of Ritchey tubed Jamis bikes have a cable stop as part of the seat clamp. They also have an eyelet on the dropout, and different shaped seat cluster lugs. Can't remember where the serial number MT***** thing came from

Different cable guides, seat cluster lug to mine

I think the Serotta built ones would be quite different and have different serial numbers. Could it be that ours are Asian-built Jamis? I still haven't found an Asian factory that used MT though .... mostly it was always a single letter at the front.

I think I have an answer, and I've been thrown off course all this time by the MT93 serial number. Mine is a 1994 Scott Pro Racing. These had the same Ritcheyesque seat cluster, same cable guides, same dropouts etc. Plus there is a guy selling a 1994 Scott Team Racing (with different seat cluster) here in NZ, and he has the MT93****** serial number and the B-02** second serial number. And his is definitely a 1994. I'd ruled out 1994 bikes and I'd never seen a 1994 Pro Racing with the same seat cluster etc. So I'm guessing yours is a modified version of the same?

I didn't realise I hadn't posted again on this thread, regarding the possible identification.

Excellent research by @rrrroberts suggest this could be a heavily modified 1994 Scott Pro Racing. If not, it was almost certainly made in the same factory. The differences and possible explanations:
* 30.0 seatpost when it should be 27.0 - Possible the seat tube rotted out and was replaced. This would explain why the fastback stays are not nicely fillet brazed and could explain the hiher weight and reason for drilling holes in the frame for drainage
* Different cable guides - Could easily have been replaced during frame modification. I haven't found any evidence of the original triples though.
* Lack of head tube reinforcement - Again, the headtube could have been cut shorter, since the holes were clearly drilled in it too. No evience for that again though.
* Different serial number length - six digits after the MT93 rather than five. Not sure why.
* Additional second frame number. Not sure why, but could have been stamped later, possibly when modified.

Can't believe I missed this belter of a build.

Love the colours. What a tidy bike.

Whats the chainring?

Thank you.

I think the chainring is unbranded. I knew I wanted a 44T for gearing and so searched Ebay for a red one and found this. Hopefully its solidity helps support the FRM cranks spider, since I managed to break the spider on my other FRM cranks. It's certainly not a lightweight chainring.

Thank you.

I think the chainring is unbranded. I knew I wanted a 44T for gearing and so searched Ebay for a red one and found this. Hopefully its solidity helps support the FRM cranks spider, since I managed to break the spider on my other FRM cranks. It's certainly not a lightweight chainring.
Looks like a solid ring. Need one like that in black for one of the future builds.

Can imagine that a bulky ring won't hurt to add a bit more rigidity to the spider. Aren't FRM kind of boutique lightweight? Suppose the fact that you run SS could also be a negative for cranks like that, as you push out a lot more torque than with a geared setup?

They look nice though

Looks like a solid ring. Need one like that in black for one of the future builds.

Can imagine that a bulky ring won't hurt to add a bit more rigidity to the spider. Aren't FRM kind of boutique lightweight? Suppose the fact that you run SS could also be a negative for cranks like that, as you push out a lot more torque than with a geared setup?

They look nice though

I just had a look and there's not any branding on it. It could be the same as the ones on some Sturmery Archer cranks:

Screenshot 2022-12-17 at 09-51-58 Sturmey Archer FCT26 FCT28 Single Chainset.png
BLB and Gebhardt do some similar ones, though not quite as solid looking.

The spider on this crank has survived a decent amount of riding so far, so hopefully it's alright. The other cranks had a skinny single TA Speciliaties ring to drive an Alfine rear hub and the spider and ring both shattered at the same time.

I just had a look and there's not any branding on it. It could be the same as the ones on some Sturmery Archer cranks:

View attachment 687566
BLB and Gebhardt do some similar ones, though not quite as solid looking.

The spider on this crank has survived a decent amount of riding so far, so hopefully it's alright. The other cranks had a skinny single TA Speciliaties ring to drive an Alfine rear hub and the spider and ring both shattered at the same time.
Fingers crossed. Interesting that both ring and spider shattered. But if it had a proper skinny ma dinky ring on before it could be that the whole thing was allowed to flex a lot more.

Appreciate the links to those chainrings, think you're right that they're the ones kitted to SA cranks

Back