1992 Specialized Stumpjumper - Finished!

Still waiting on this arriving :(

Once it arrives then I should hopefully be able to confirm it's year and then start scouring for parts. Not too sure what the OE spec on this bike would have been, but very interested in finding out and re-fitting something similar.

Definitely looks like a 1991 model judging by the colour, 92 bikes were not available in black as far as I know and 93 onwards had different rear dropouts... As far as spec concerned it would mostly have been DX mostly so anything of that era would be good. I would probably go for M735 XT with clean looking finishing kit..Stumpies always look nicer with nothing flash in my opinion :cool:

Shouldn't take too much to get her looking like new: black powdercoat should be cheap, readily available decals on and bobs your uncle.

hey, good catch! I have the same frame as well the size :) waiting for the bb then i'll post it here :) ' 91 or '92, full DX set.

Today it landed :)

Was covered in bits of old stickers and dirt and looked a bit sorry for itself. So, a quick clean, a scrub with some Dodo Lime Prime and a little bit of Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection and this is it:

29032010110.jpg

29032010109.jpg

29032010108.jpg

29032010107.jpg

29032010106.jpg

Someone has attempted to treat the little areas of corrosion with some paint and not done a pretty job. Seems a bit of a shame to have it repainted, but it'll be the only way to get a decent finish. The colour is black with a touch of red metallic in there somewhere, so powdercoating is out. Might get it blasted, then prime and paint it myself.

Frame number is: MOI931547 So I guess it's a 1992 model?

Infact, looking at the old catalogues, the only Stumpy in this colour appears to be a 1992 model (Purple metallic?). Would the frame number correspond to this?

Yeah, '92. Black with purple metallic. Will be good game to find the correct colour... :) Look at in sunshine :LOL:

no, not purple. it looks flat black. but if you look at closer... :)

Attachments

• stumpy2_r.jpg
    stumpy2_r.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,921
  • stumpy 92.jpg
    stumpy 92.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 2,921
Looking at it under some decent light and it does appear purple. Job done :)

Shouldn't be too hard to find a close match to the colour. Just need to spend a bit going through some colour charts.

Just removed the forks and headset. Exciting!

Back