1992 Specialized Stumpjumper - Finished!

I don't know how to interpret the serial number, but this isn't a '93. The '93 model had a noodle for the rear brake, not a bridge-stop on the seatstays.

Looking through the catalogues in the archive section, there was a 1992 model in the same colour etc as mine. It was a really dark purple (almost looked black in some light) with a slight metallic to it. Don't think there was a model in this colour after this.

Couple of pictures from a ride out last weekend:

25072010305.jpg

25072010306.jpg

Not having much luck selling the Stumpy, so it looks like she's staying for the time being.

Think I'll look to try and shed a little weight off it next. Better saddle and seatpost are first in the que.

Restoring a 93 Stumpjumper

That's a nice looking Stumpjumper! I'd like to restore my 93 Stumpjumper and I'm missing the link for decals. Is there a link that someone could provide for Gil? I've looked all over this site and and I see his name everywhere but no link. Thanks in advance!

That is a great looking Stumpjumper. You have giving me inspiration to restore my 92'. I am currently running it as a single speed and the magic number for future reference is 36x20 or 38x18.

Attachments

• 9.16ride2.jpg
    9.16ride2.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 2,316
  • 9.15 ride 2.jpg
    9.15 ride 2.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 2,316
Old memories

I had a dark purple Stumkumper just like yours was! It brings back memories of 1993 and mountainbiking with rigid forks. From memory I weighed my forks and they were shockingly light at about 800grams and would flex massively on hard braking.

When I sold mine in 95 it was sporting the latest in high fashing upgrades including Syncros stem and bars, Cooks Brothers Racing Cranks, the latest Rapidfire Plus shifters, Mavic 321s on XT hubs and ofcourse in true 90s style X-Lite's finest purple baubles.

Only problem I had was snapping the front brake boss and having to get a new one brazed on which meant I lost the colour matched forks.

I've got a light purple / mauve 94 model now that I ride about town with slicks on that I was running single speed but it felt pointless so its gone 7 speed with a cassette and single XT thumbshifter.

And for an old girl they do handle nicely.

Attachments

• stumpjumper.jpg
    stumpjumper.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 1,506
Back