1992 Saracen Killi Racer Project

biggins

Retro Guru
This is a project thread to chart the rebuilding of my second mountain bike. The bike in question, as the title of the thread gives away, is a 1992 Saracen Killi Racer.

The story....

This was my second bike. I was working in Halfords on a Sunday whilst in the 6th form, and this frame was a warranty return as there was, and still is, two small cracks either side of a vent hole on the tube that goes from the junction of the chainstays to the down tube. I think I got this in 1993. I started at Uni in October 1992 and I definitely rode my first bike in and out of there. I only got it as a frame and forks so it never had the original spec whilst I owned it, that will explain my ease now with not putting it back to original.

After a year out in 94/95 I had enough cash to buy a new Zaskar LE frame and this was passed over to my brother, BPikeUK, who has put pics of this bike up here before. Anyway, fast forward to a ride in Thetford in November and a conversation in the cafe over tea and cake that ended in me getting the frame and forks back.

When I cleaned it up I found a crack around the weld on the rear of the chainstay joint weld. I have had it stripped and will get it welded before powder coating. I am thinking of a powder blue colour. Got mostly LX from a 1999 Rockhopper to go on it. That is all a graphite colour so the blue should look quite good.

I have attached some pics as it is before repair. I will update as I go.

I did think these frames could survive a nuclear blast, so just goes to show what a lard arse BPikeUK is!

Attachments

• Saracen Killi Racer 1992 001.JPG
    Saracen Killi Racer 1992 001.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 2,446
  • Saracen Killi Racer 1992 002.JPG
    Saracen Killi Racer 1992 002.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 2,446
great story :cool:

And another old Saracen survives the recycling centre !, I will be watching the progress with great anticipation ;)

I suppose the question on everyone's mind will be Canti's or V's ?

Cheers

GM :cool:

Have the exact same frame as my rebuild project for 2011! So following this closely.

Seatpost is a 30.2 apparently, not sure on seat clamp size.

Wouldnt worry on parts, frame does the business. A light duck egg blue sounds grand, like the old kilis/tufftrax of the era.

Very excited with your plans. :D

Not sure what seat post size is, but brother has the one it had in when I gave it to him orginally. It still has snake skin effect red Veulta saddle on it.

It will be Vs I'm afraid. As I said this was never in orginal spec when I owned it, so its going to built to be ridden not cherised!

Yup. 30.2mm for the seatpost.
Good luck with the project. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

92KiliRacer06.jpg

More here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=74514

Thanks Paul.

I have gathered / ordered most parts I need once frame is repaired and powder coated. I expect it to be a month or so before that gets done.

The one bit I am missing is the little pully for the front mech cable. I know I can use a top pull, but the pulley is quite cool. Anyone got one?

Looks like a good project, nice bikes those Saracen e-stays. Looking forward to seeing this project progress.

Back