1992 Raleigh Summit

That's a lovely bike. I remember looking at this advert thinking i want one!

raleighsummit.jpg

raleighsummit2.jpg

does anyone have a copy of the brochure for the Raleigh 'Off Road Series'? be interested in reading some scans.. I had a Ravine, my first new mtb !!

Re: had to reply

I know this thread is 2011 and its 2014 now but just had to add.. i've still got my summit and its still in very good condition.. to the point where it still has the original tyres and innertubes.. (no lies)

Only thing I added was the onza bar ends

Attachments

• bike2.jpg
    bike2.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 743
Lovely bike, the Summit. I was working for Halfrauds when they came out and the first one we sold came back with the fork bent back on itself, a knackered front triangle, pringle shaped wheel, and a rider who's head was covered in bandages.
This worried me as lots of people used to open conversations involving bikes in this state with the words:" I was just riding along..." and then finishing it with unreasonable demands and threats of legal action.
This chap though came up to me dragging the corpse of his new bike ( about a week in his care) and said "I need a new bike."
Not sure where this was going, I asked him what happened.
"Well, I was bombing down this hill, watching my forks going up and down, cos I'd never really looked before and I rode into a tree."
I made him a cup of tea and sold him a new bike.

doctorstewie":179finm3 said:
Lovely bike, the Summit. I was working for Halfrauds when they came out and the first one we sold came back with the fork bent back on itself, a knackered front triangle, pringle shaped wheel, and a rider who's head was covered in bandages.
This worried me as lots of people used to open conversations involving bikes in this state with the words:" I was just riding along..." and then finishing it with unreasonable demands and threats of legal action.
This chap though came up to me dragging the corpse of his new bike ( about a week in his care) and said "I need a new bike."
Not sure where this was going, I asked him what happened.
"Well, I was bombing down this hill, watching my forks going up and down, cos I'd never really looked before and I rode into a tree."
I made him a cup of tea and sold him a new bike.

haha... class....... I have to say when I first got my bike I know exactly why...... I have to admit i had a few close calls doing the same thing...lol

Probably a common issue in the early enineties Chris :D In contrast, an Activator owner came in with the same issue the following year: he had bought a new front wheel for his "bike", one with a QR. He went over a pothole, and the fork being flexier than a Russian gymnast spoinged the QR off, ejecting the wheel down Chester Road resulting in some horrifying injuries. Raleigh had neglected to put a warning on the bike that replacing the bolted front wheel with a QR one was a bad idea, and the customer hadn't told anyone what kind of bike he was buying it for, just took the wheel to the till.
Words were had with Raleigh ( by me, some quite strong ones, actually as I had discovered that the aftermarket version of the Activator fork did indeed have such a warning on it) I don't know how it turned out but I do know that the punter took his issue to Raleigh. A blip on Raleigh's otherwise excellent record. Don't get me started on Townshend. ( they made some Apollos for us )

Thats is in amazing condition, got a Peak - problem is its rusting through the paint work in some areas, really not sure what to do with it. I think its a case of stripping the paint, get the metal work sorted and a respray. Not got the time.

Back