1992 Raleigh Apex

The bike I'm picking up next week has seat stays which are attached to a seat tube/top tube lug, which I believe Raleigh stopped doing on later models?

Can you date the bike from this, approximately?

Mine is a 1992, and I have noticed the best way to date them, is that the seat bolt lug is behind the seat post on a 1992 and in front of it on a 1993.

I bottled out of the 31yr old Apex in the end, I'm afraid, and bought a 10yr old barely used flat bar Dawes db chromo Galaxy. Heavy as hell but fully loaded with guards, rack and panniers and a great fit for my wife. Spent a fair bit more but none of the componentry - nor the wheels - needs replacing. An unadventurous purchase tbh but given that we're touring in June, I wanted a bit more peace of mind.

I bottled out of the 31yr old Apex in the end, I'm afraid, and bought a 10yr old barely used flat bar Dawes db chromo Galaxy. Heavy as hell but fully loaded with guards, rack and panniers and a great fit for my wife. Spent a fair bit more but none of the componentry - nor the wheels - needs replacing. An unadventurous purchase tbh but given that we're touring in June, I wanted a bit more peace of mind.
Hey, it happens!

Good look with your purchase and build though!

My first decent bike was an Apex. Bought it new from Daniels in Windsor. Probably one of the best value bikes at the time for the money.

Last edited:
Back