1992 Raleigh Apex

Crusader

Devout Dirtbag
Yep - did one from this series, then had to do the set.

This one had been ridden half a dozen times and then garaged by the owner who needed a new knee. He eventually got the new knee, but it was never quite right.

I thought the dust would just blow/rinse off nice and easy, but it took a full strip and clean as usual - that's 28 years in a garage workshop for you.. This did reveal an almost new bike though! It looked pretty good all dusted up as well to be fair.

As per the 92 Ravine I've just featured on the forum, the cantilevers and steel chain rings had to go. NOS XT M734 cantilevers and DX 650 silver chain rings substituted.

As usual, the STIs had gummed up, so they needed a strip to access the pawls.

The 92 Apex had the black 501 handlebars which were mint, but my NOS red USE handlebars had at last found a match colour-wise.

Beautiful paint job. I was worried about owning a bike this colour, but I am converted.

The unmarked black rims and the black tyres were just too... black, hence their replacement with amber wall tyres (Road Cruisers not Delta Cruisers). I'm not 100% about them, but I felt it had to be done as I could find no other pictures of this model with them on.

The alignment, fit and finish off this frame is of a high order and is a credit to those who put it together in the main factory. The 27.0mm seat post is a tight, but nevertheless sublime fit in the seat tube, but the black finish on the post is so smooth, as is the internal surface of the seat tube, that there is barely enough friction to hold it in place without creepage; it's like a piston in a bore. Can't use copper grease...

Attachments

• Apex 2 smlr.jpg
    Apex 2 smlr.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 371
  • Apex 5_sml.jpg
    Apex 5_sml.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 369
  • Apex 6_sml.jpg
    Apex 6_sml.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 361
  • Apex 7_sml.jpg
    Apex 7_sml.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 364
  • My Apex 3_smlr.jpg
    My Apex 3_smlr.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 370
  • Apex 4 sml.jpg
    Apex 4 sml.jpg
    375.4 KB · Views: 367
  • 92 apex 21.jpg
    92 apex 21.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 367
Bit of a thread revival I know so my apologies. I'm a newbie on here and don't appear to be able to send PMs.

I'm picking up a Raleigh Apex K2 next week for my wife to use as a tourer once guards and rear rack have been added. I believe it's a 1992 model. I've read your post on Reynolds K2 which was invaluable - thank you. I'm a bit concerned about the potential issue with the quality of seat stay welding to the seat tube lug and am wondering whether I should pull out and look out for a 1993+ model instead. The bike in question is still with the original owner, which in itself is a good sign, I think.

Any advice would be most welcome!

Bit of a thread revival I know so my apologies. I'm a newbie on here and don't appear to be able to send PMs.

I'm picking up a Raleigh Apex K2 next week for my wife to use as a tourer once guards and rear rack have been added. I believe it's a 1992 model. I've read your post on Reynolds K2 which was invaluable - thank you. I'm a bit concerned about the potential issue with the quality of seat stay welding to the seat tube lug and am wondering whether I should pull out and look out for a 1993+ model instead. The bike in question is still with the original owner, which in itself is a good sign, I think.

Any advice would be most welcome!
I don't think you should be put off. Give the welds a visual check - the one I took to pieces was off a frame that had gone rusty at most of the junctions. There is a FB group of loyal owners and they don't talk about failures at all. Many of the failures will have failed by now and many of those may have been due to heavy users and heavy landings. I have 2x 92s and 2x 93s, I trust them all.

I don't think you should be put off. Give the welds a visual check - the one I took to pieces was off a frame that had gone rusty at most of the junctions. There is a FB group of loyal owners and they don't talk about failures at all. Many of the failures will have failed by now and many of those may have been due to heavy users and heavy landings. I have 2x 92s and 2x 93s, I trust them all.
Thanks for the reply, appreciated. As you say, it would/should have failed by now if it had been badly welded - although the owner did say that he hadnt ridden it in recent years. Sounds like he's even older than me! So, providing that there's no rust at the joint, it should be okay. I do like the look of a lug too :)

PS I meant to ask - how did you get the paint on yours looking SO good? what method and cleaning materials did you use? Thanks again.

It didn't take much - the dust and lack of sunlight over the years had preserved it. Just car polish. What size is the one you are looking at?

It didn't take much - the dust and lack of sunlight over the years had preserved it. Just car polish. What size is the one you are looking at?
Hoping that this scrubs up as nicely as yours! 339198656_5932072730211471_6437810646855734352_n.jpg Looks like some of the decals are damaged /gone...

Back