1992 Marin Team Issue project

Re: Re:

Mr Toad":1vannt2q said:
Do you think that the finish can be saved even with all that rust ?

Curious how the tin foil works !

Dossa":1vannt2q said:
jax13":1vannt2q said:
i'm sure i read on here about someone using scrunched up tin foil to remove laquer.

not 100% because i've had a rather sleep deprived week & can't be bothered searching for it but I think i'm right! (and its the thought that counts!)

Think that was me..... :oops: :D

Also used a scourer as well, nickel is tougher than people think, doesn't scratch easily (well, in my limited experience that is...!)

Example around the BB area,

Before:
P1060395.jpg

After:
P1060476.jpg

Start scrubbing! ;)

Matty

There you go :D

Re:

Holy Moly :shock:

That was achieved just with scrunched up tin foil and a scourer ?

Any tips ? particular scourer ? metal or a greenie ?

Re:

Nice frame!

I've used oxalic acid - but only on aluminium. Gotta keep an eye on it as if left too long it starts to eat into the material you want to keep.

A brass wire brush is good for getting the rust off steel (the brass is harder than rust, but softer than steel), as is various grades of steel wool soaked with a little WD40.

Re:

Well , I've got it now and it's worse than I thought. :(

I've had a little go with a scourer and tinfoil , and a little bit of wet and dry. Some of the nickel plating is flaked off , but worse of all it has a little dent in the top tube.

I've emailed a local plating company for a quote to re do it in bright nickel , but had no quote back yet. I've also spoken with a powder coater who can dip , blast and powder coat with chrome powder coat ( which isn't as bright as real chrome , more a slightly duller finish but still shiny , more like nickel ) for about £60.

I'll report back once I've got a quote from the platers , but it's more likely I'll get it powder coated because they will be able to fill the dent too.

Cheers

H

Re: Uh oh ... Another project

Top scrubbing going on there :cool: Mind and do a complete pic soon as you can.

Re:

Ok , bottom bracket coming out this week , and off to the powder coaters.

It may be viewed as sacrilege to some , but I think this is going to be built with Xt rather than xtr :oops:

Simply for reasons of cost and availability. I'd like to have this finished before the winter as my garage is a cold miserable place in the winter months lol.

So the hunt for Xt 735 bits starts ;)

H

Re:

Ok , hit a bit of a stumbling block today with the news from the bike shop that the bottom bracket is seized and they can't get it out.

Not the end of the world as the BB is good , I just wanted it out to get it powdercoated.

So , plan B is to paint the frame up with the BB in place , and I am thinking zolatone effect after seeing it done on another build thread.

So , what is everyone's thinking on a 1992 Team Issue in zolatone instead of polished nickel ? Sacrilege or a good idea lol

I'll be using black forks and stem as per the original , and will go for the neon yellow MARIN and Team Issue decals , so I guess to the untrained eye it might just look like a bear valley ?

Thoughts ?

H :)

Back