1992 Kona Explosif - gold timewarp

Re:

I vividly remember staring at the gold version in my local bike as a teenager in 1992.

It had just come into the shop, it was in my size, and way out of my price league. If I remember correct it was priced at a then heady £720.

In the end, I had to face facts. That was until one of the shop assistants pointed in the direction of a model that was ‘last years’ ( that being purple) It was also a size bigger and marked as a reduced price of £550.

Before headed to the cash till, I recall being told it was very good value since it came with XT bits. So I kept schtum until after I paid.

Took it home, and have it, till this day. They ride great, so who owns this will be very lucky imho.

Re:

Consider my wrists slapped! Apologies all.

My 92 CC had a black dog collar...

img1236gi.jpg

jez-4-bikes-max":gupcv1oz said:
Yeh catalogues show the Shimano style Qrs and not the black alloy things.

Maybe a UK spec thing difference perhaps.

I remember them with the black QRs, although I also remember a ton of people who bought them in the shop I worked in at the time swapping it out for a bolt for lightness - we were at peak weightweenieness at the time with bars being cut to 19” and 1.5” tyres being use. Let’s just wait for those trends to come round again!

pete_mcc":cae9ri4p said:
jez-4-bikes-max":cae9ri4p said:
Yeh catalogues show the Shimano style Qrs and not the black alloy things.

Maybe a UK spec thing difference perhaps.

I remember them with the black QRs, although I also remember a ton of people who bought them in the shop I worked in at the time swapping it out for a bolt for lightness - we were at peak weightweenieness at the time with bars being cut to 19” and 1.5” tyres being use. Let’s just wait for those trends to come round again!

Gravel bikes innit?

Re: Re:

al-onestare":lm62ac4u said:
Consider my wrists slapped! Apologies all.

My 92 CC had a black dog collar...

img1236gi.jpg

That's a 1993 collar - the 92s are curved shaped affairs with no kona logo embossed. Pic coming up.

I suspect there may have been a crossover spec if that set up you have is as originally purchased.

Yeah that’s original for sure. I never really liked them much. Lovely bike though

Back