1992 Claud Butler Antaeus 653 Magnum FINISHED

Re: Claud Butler Antaeus 653 - 3 times a lady

So Legrandfromage and ‘our man from Rhodes’ (sorry, not sure who he is?)
Say chuck in some caustic soda as that will attack the aluminium in the B.B. well all I had was some Mr Muscle under the sink which had caustic soda listed in its ingredients... & comes in a matching orange 🤦
It’s slowly seeping in through the seal, so I’ll keep topping it up. But I might see if I can get my hands on some industrial strength stuff. F1112E85-C00F-49B2-B16F-E64198470B9C.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: Re:

PeachyPM":3drxotmj said:
Tamiya TS-36 Fluorescent red, (for general plastics) they come in tiny 100ml cans so quite expensive but easy to spray (although for best results you must have a good white base)
They also do the same colour as PS-20 Fluorescent red for Polycarb. but I'm pretty sure the polycarb paint isnt as UV stable (loads of RC boys moaning about it)
Superb, many thanks. Looking forward to seeing how this comes along

Re: Re:

MR OX":2miheftp said:
PeachyPM":2miheftp said:
Tamiya TS-36 Fluorescent red, (for general plastics) they come in tiny 100ml cans so quite expensive but easy to spray (although for best results you must have a good white base)
They also do the same colour as PS-20 Fluorescent red for Polycarb. but I'm pretty sure the polycarb paint isnt as UV stable (loads of RC boys moaning about it)
Superb, many thanks. Looking forward to seeing how this comes along

Slow burn I’m afraid... I’ve got a couple of Christmas bikes to build and a house that “needs finishing” or something like that!

So the near-side has done bugger all, I think it’s some kind of plastic. The off-side on the other hand is definitely aluminium and now fizzing away nicely. AC967D6D-90C2-4902-AB53-DA911685087D.jpeg

Last edited:
Re:

Is it a Shimano cartridge BB?

If you can get the spindle and bearings out, you may be able to get a hacksaw blade through the centre and make two cuts, about 10mm apart, then knock out that section, then crush/deform the remaining bit and get that out.

This might help:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lar7mIMmTRE[/youtube]

However, I'm not sure whether all cartridge BBs are exactly like this. I think some are like deep section bearings, where there are fewer balls and they are held in place by a metal or plastic carrier/spacer, when the carrier is removed, the balls can all close up and the centre race or spindle can be removed.

This will give you an idea of what I mean, although the bearings in your BB may be slightly smaller. :D :

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQwEzpCsgk4[/youtube]

Cheers, helpfull stuff

This caustic soda is sooooo boring.... so I thought I’d get a bit honorary with this Bloody Bracket! D51DE181-6FBC-4AD6-BE66-880C9C19E586.jpeg

Last edited:

longun":3ra6pv06 said:
top job dude

I got home, the lad said “game of Fortnite Dad?” And I said “yeah, just give me five, I need to kill something in the real world first”

(It was p*****g me off) :x

Eased the old girls bottom into a bath of Evapo-rust for the night, that should help get the crap out of the threads. B44DC1A8-21E1-40B7-9CC9-B61F923520EE.jpeg

Last edited:
Back