1992 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX #ProjectMiniAlMega

Re: Another one... #ProjectMiniAlMega (Alpinestars)

Today's progress...

It's built for function as well as form - my short-ass lady friend for whom this was built preferred the position of original high-rise stem so I added a Chris King Aheadset spacer to the zero-rise Alpinestars quill stem which I had to raise up to achieve a similar position. The spacer looks better than having a big gap between the top headset nut and base of the stem.

Four-finger MT62 brake levers for her because she likes a handful of brake, and MT62 thumbshifters because she hasn't really ridden a bike since she was about 10 years old and that's all she knows. It's full-on retro and I like her style! :p

Not quite so retro are the stubble barends but they provide a comfy hand position with a palm-rest extension and they're rubber-covered so they'll do nicely. Again, function over form.

Had to lop two inches off the seatpost to get it in at a low position because of the curved seattube. The green Tioga Hot Tip toestrap ends will be swapped to neon pink and the black straps kept as they are. It was originally gonna have pink straps and the green tips to match the green in the frame decals. Only it turns out the decals are not really that green so they're going to be swapped for the pink (thanks to Ian aka 'racer-x').

Oh, and here it is with the battered frame that's not gonna get built, just for comparison!

Re:

Good Grief man!! That's a tasty bike :eek: :shock:

I hope your "lady friend" is worth it (the Porcs, the Porcs!!).

That is looking really lush already and yep i misunderstood that their were 2 frames which goes to show that when your not well your not fully focused but any way those porcs look perfect fitted and i can't wait to see this Alpine finished ..

Re: Re:

jimo746":2a9zaf51 said:
Good Grief man!! That's a tasty bike :eek: :shock:

I hope your "lady friend" is worth it (the Porcs, the Porcs!!).

Thanks man! And yeah she is. She's caught the retro bug and all :)

Muddy paw":21504lgg said:
That is looking really lush already and yep i misunderstood that their were 2 frames which goes to show that when your not well your not fully focused but any way those porcs look perfect fitted and i can't wait to see this Alpine finished ..
Cheers fella! I thought there was a misunderstanding, which is easily done if just reading the headlines and salient points I know!

It's getting cabled today but won't be 'finished' for another week whilst I await the new cassette and a couple other bits. But it's as good as done now :D :cool:

Your welcome mate and yes i've not been to good now for over a month hence why i miss understood but hey! This bike is already a real credit to you and whether you like it or not you've got one jealous admirer who just can't wait to see it completed so top work fella :cool: ..

Well I've sort of finished it! :D And it had its maiden voyage (up and down the street :p) to make sure it all rolls and clicks nicely, which it does! Me and the lady friend are super chuffed with how it's turned out.
Strange thing though, the XT M735 front mech I had for it wouldn't align properly so I had to switch to its original DX M650 mech. There are two key differences between them, which if I hadn't got them together I'd never have known or believed the differences (plus a third DX M650 bolt-on mech for added comparison): the OE mech (M650 DX bolt on) had a 1⅜" stamp on the inside radius of the clamp on bit. The XT (and the other DX one, which curiously came off my 91 Al Mega DX but was itself replaced with a like-for-like NOS one) have 1¼" stamps, and the OE one also has the lower pivot in a different position. Now I'm not sure if this is unique to the 15" Alpinestars frame or what, but it has me flummoxed and scratching my head for ages as to why the XT mech would not provide a chain line parallel to the chainrings. Lesson learned!

So here it is. I'll update the thread again next weekend with updated pics when the purple bits and cassette (a 13-30 HG90 to provide slightly lower ratios plus a better look than the modern HG20!) have been fitted. :cool:

SPEC SHEET:
('OE' denotes Original Equipment)
Frame: 1992 Alpinestars USA Al-Mega DX, 38cm (15")
Fork: OE Alpinestars design 'ODSystem' 1¼" Cro-Mo blades, 1¼" steerer
Colour (color!): Alpinestars 'Cobalt Blue'

Headset: NOS Tange Superlight 1¼"
Stem: NOS Alpinestars Easton 7005 Aluminum 115mm 0°rise with clamp-on Alpinestars quill
Handlebar: Answer TaperLite 3° Neon Pink
Grips: ODI Attack John Tomac (Clear)
Barends: Random stubbies (from former owner!)

Brakes: Shimano Deore XT BR-M734 Cantilevers, hand polished
Brake Pads: NOS Shimano XTR M900
Brake Cables: NOS Shimano SLR
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano A/73 front & B/84 rear
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore BL-MT62 four-finger

Gear Levers: Shimano Deore SL-MT62
Front Derailleur: OE Shimano Deore DX FD-M650 1⅜" Bolt-on
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT RD-M735 (SS)
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Currently: Shimano HG20 12-28T (Will replace with NOS HG90 13-30T next week)
Chain: Random Shimano-compatible
Cranks: Shimano Deore DX FC-MT60 170mm, hand polished
Crank Bolts: NOS Shimano
Chainrings: Shimano SG 46/36/24T
Chainring bolts: Shimano
Bottom Bracket: NOS Shimano BB-UN51 68/122.5mm
Pedals: Shimano Deore XT PD-M735
Toe Clips: NOS Tioga PowerClips II Neon Yellow
Toe Straps: NOS randoms, black, with NOS Tioga Hot Tip end caps

Hub Skewers: M650 Deore DX
Rims: OE Mavic M231 32h
Hubs: OE Deore DX HB-M650 & FH-M650 32H
Nipples: OE
Spokes: OE
Tyres: NOS Onza Porcs II 2.1" blackwall
Tubes: Schwalbe Presta, new

Saddle: Alpinestars
Seatpost: Alpinestars aluminium (stripped from OE black ano & hand polished to silver)
Seatpost Binder: NOS Trans-X aluminium 35mm purple ano.

Re: Re:

jimi911":r4fthplg said:
Holy moly another mint one!

Looks so nice.

Ya just need that Ti-mega ;)

Cheers Jim. I lucked out on it TBH. Perfect timing, great price!

I've got savings ready for if or when a Ti Mega pops up. Saw a frame on Facebook a couple of months ago but it was too untidy. I'm fussy. :LOL:

Back