1992 Alpinestars Al-Mega DX #ProjectMiniAlMega

regan_ev

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Yeti Fan
Feedback
View
A few weeks ago an ad popped up on the US Facebook group for an XS 15"1992 Al Mega DX frameset with all the gubbins (little fittings/ferrules etc) but in need of some attention and at a bit of a premium plus the dreaded shipping. I balked at it but after seeing my comments, MattB messaged me offering a very battered one - he was totally honest that it was a pig's ear from the get-go - but crucially for me, in the same 15" size I wanted to build up for my lady friend :D Matt offered it at a tidy price so we did a deal and I thought I'd give it a shot.

I had intended on getting Argos in Bristol to repair the busted and poorly re-welded front mech hanger, a bent rear mech hanger and a stuck bottle cage bolt and repaint in original Alpinestars Cobalt Blue. It was a fair bit of work and Argos agreed to take it on. I left it with them a fortnight ago with it due back second week in June. I'd also contacted Gil to knock up some decals.
Here's the frame from Matt (also included original Cro-Mo 'ODS' forks) pictured when I left it at Argos:

So that was the plan, repair, repaint and rebuild it, staying on the rigid forks, with a mix of XT & DX, until about 9pm last night when an email alerted me to a new eBay listing for the same 15" 1992 Al Mega DX in VGC: full bike, mostly original, one owner, everything there and working, minus tyres! :shock: :cool: Ten minutes later the seller ended the auction for me. :mrgreen:

Plan promptly changed...

I was in the car at 10am this morning headed to Sheffield to collect it! Cancelled the work at Argos on the phone en route, who in fairness, were not unhappy with me cancelling because they were dubious at the chances of getting their aluminium welder (not an in-house guy) to successfully make up a new (strangely-shaped) Alpinestars front mech hanger anyway. No hard feelings, we're both happy! :D

So, here she is, as it landed after an 8-hour road trip today. Seller threw in a spare set of forks too!:

What a mental 24 hours!

New plan:
• strip, degrease, polish :cool:
• replace stem with a NOS Alpinestars Easton 7005 shorty-ass 115mm stem I got from Ian (aka racer-x) last week:

• swap bars for either some 94-spec pewter/ice blue Alpinestars (also from Ian) or more likely some neon pink TaperLites I've had lying around (she loves the pink and it's gonna be influenced as much by her as me)

• replace the gritty OE headset with a NOS Tange 1¼" threaded I got a while ago

• replace the OE BB with a NOS UN51 68/122.5 (wanted a 70-series but couldn't find a decent one in this size, but it's a good unit

• replace chainset with identical MT60 170mm 24/36/46 SG rings I got off Attila (hunspecialized) and polished to perfection with Autosol a few weeks ago:

• swap mechs for XT M735 rear AND front mechs, I've already polished up the RD:

• swap STIs for MT62 Thumbshifters from Adrian (raidan73), 4-finger MT60 levers (eBay) (she wanted thumbies and 4-finger levers, the thumbies are absolutely mint condition, cheers Adrian, levers need a polish but the silver wil compliment the rest of the silver really nicely):

• swap the cantis for XT cantis off my AM XT I've also polished to perfection with NOS XTR brakeblocks I've saved for this:

• swap the pedals for XT M735 pedals with neon yellow Tioga toeclips (from Lee retrobikeguy who responded to my wanted ad - cheers fella :) and neon pink straps with neon green Tioga end caps (also from Ian) which are gonna look cool as feck, exactly like the Tioga catalogue picture, and all three colours will match the colours in the decals on the frame :cool:
Like this but on XTs:

• swap seatpost for an original Alpinestars one I've also polished up!

•add some tyres - either NOS blackwall Onza Porcs2 I've had stashed for a while or red-bead Kevlar bluewall Pana XC Fire Pro (not 90s exactly but nice)

•and for the pièce de resistance, I'm gonna bling the feck out of it for her with lots of purple ano en route from Spain from Pascual pas125, and even add NOS Bullseye jockeys :cool: (she loves purple ano! :LOL:)

I'm really excited by this project, now that it's in my hands and should come together quite quickly! And the fact it's not for me to ride is really cool as this is a first for me in my relatively short RB history!

More updates and pics to come in the next few days :)

:cool:

Re: Another one... #ProjectMiniAlMega (Alpinestars)

This is going to be real lush when you've sorted it and i'd go with the porcs as i reckon they will suit the bike better but tyres are a personal thing when it comes down to choice ..

Thanks mate I hope it looks as good as the vision I have for it. :)

I'm leaning towards the Porcs for it (and the previous owner has put an Onza sticker on the frame which is rather apt :LOL:) but I might go with something else. I'll do a mock up with a couple of types, maybe I'll swap the Smoke/Dart off my XT onto it.

Your welcome mate and i can't imagine your vision of the finished bike will be far off with those lovely parts fitted and yes a few mock ups with the tyres is always worth the effort and the Dart n Smoke are a great choice if you they are more too your liking for the Alpine but any how do your mock ups with out them 1st then if your not happy then well you know your nect option ;) ..

Checking in, this sounds likev it's gonna be crazy! The brighter the better in my eyes.

Stripped, degreased, de-tarred (yeah, TAR!), polished and waxed.
Added a purple seatclamp to get a taste of what the purple ano will do and I love it.
BB and headset coming out tomorrow and will be replaced with the NOS parts. :cool:

Wow is that the same frame as it looks great :cool: and yes purple does tend to look good with the colour blue and i'm certainly going to be keeping a close eye on your progress ..

Re:

Omg despite all the warning, this time last year that Garage was almost empty and home to just that (Ahemm) Marin, look at it now......and there's still one at Argos as well :D

You may not realise this but that slippery slope is going to get a lot worse, :shock:

you've just let the 3DV genie out of the bottle, from that one there is no way back. Before long you'll be doomed, a hostage to all things Purple.

Re: Re:

Muddy paw":4eu3a1fy said:
Wow is that the same frame as it looks great :cool: and yes purple does tend to look good with the colour blue and i'm certainly going to be keeping a close eye on your progress ..
The frame pictures last night in front of the TV is not the same as the very first pic in the thread (sorry if any confusion has arisen) but yeah, it's the same as the frame on the bike stand with wheels minus tyres! Updates to follow later. Just assembling it after new BB and headset were fitted this morning, a bit of jiggery-pokery making a headset spacer due to a lower stack height on the Tamge versus original YST headset, wheels polished and tyres fitted. Going with the blackwall Porcs, they suit it better than amber walls :cool:

Retro Spud":4eu3a1fy said:
Omg despite all the warning, this time last year that Garage was almost empty and home to just that (Ahemm) Marin, look at it now......and there's still one at Argos as well :D

You may not realise this but that slippery slope is going to get a lot worse, :shock:

you've just let the 3DV genie out of the bottle, from that one there is no way back. Before long you'll be doomed, a hostage to all things Purple.
Haha you're bang on the money as always mate! The one that went to Argos is now back here, doomed never to be built but will hang on the wall in the garage as an ornament and reminder of what might've been.

Can't wait until the purple XT bolt kits arrive! I've also bought a blue kit for the A-M XT, because it's got a blue Hope Ti front hub, and I've got matching blue ano Bullseye jockey wheels for that too.

So I've now got five bikes, four Astars and the Marin. It's not gonna get out of hand unless a Ti Mega comes up, but that's gonna cause all sorts of problems as I'll need to seek my ass to pay for it. Car maintenance and home improvements are planned and I've already eaten into the budgets on both :oops: so bike spending STOPS NOW! :LOL: (honestly! :p)

Build updates later. :D

Back