1991 Muddy Fox Sorcerer Mega, 2010's 1991 Make over Page3

Strip the seatpost of the balck anodising and polish it. Syncros posts come up like new, I polished one to match that stem before I realised that it didnt fit the intended bike

It is certainly looking a lot racer than it did. I like the silver syncros but now it needs a silver post, you could strip and polish the current one and get replacement decals for stem and post off Gil_m.

Thats my 2 pennies worth, failing that ask Mr. Bear he seems very keen on your progress!

Cheers gang stripping the seat post isn't a terrible idea...could be a goer....

I've gone a bit Sinnett tonight, had the old Solvol out and following the master :cool: :D Cant be asssed with the wet and dry now its all together but amazing how shinier things get with a small amount of elbow grease. quite addictive too. I've now got a chromed front end thing going on, odd polished brake, bar ends and stem, kinda works, so I think the end is in sight, gonna get my matching wheels trued up tomorrow and get it finished... for now

Yeah it is looking a bit racey, shed a bit of weight off the original set up, still heavy robust frame, we'll see how it rides on the trails and go from there. :D

Thats a seriously nice frameset but accept it for what it is. I can't see any point in pimping it with syncros, USE, control tech ( or a rock ring or those pedals!!). Why not go for something more akin to the original?

Maybe I should spend more time on VRC :idea:

Crell":2zvl8mmb said:
Thats a seriously nice frameset but accept it for what it is. I can't see any point in pimping it with syncros, USE, control tech ( or a rock ring or those pedals!!). Why not go for something more akin to the original?
Thanks Its a heavy but sturdy trail bike (frame) a bit like I had BITD :)

Why add nice bits?

"because I want to" :LOL: pretty much what I would have done BITD if I had a better paper round!

I built it up from the frame and barebones bits as seen on page 1, I have sourced all the bits, so I'm not looking for non descript Kalloy type boring bits.
ebay141ah8.jpg

seat is funky retro, but heavy and uncomfortable! Possibly too fat to compliment frame, the deal from Bruno.

The brief is basically get a bike I thought was awesome BITD, along with relative cooking parts (500LX and Deore) that I thought were decent.

Playing along with the colour scheme I got gold Bars which looked great, and as the used USE seat post offered later was potentially well overpriced :? Plus I reckon an actual fitting 29.6 post was better than a shimmed 25.0 anyways, A trick addition even though the Kalloy was 'fine' and weighed no more. I kept looking and that sexy Syncros turned up thanks to corduroyboy. :cool: The Zoom stem; I was not happy with the clamp, changed my mind too, and flex stem not right for this. so some planned, some natural evolution, I'm very happy with the bike at the mo the accidental and concious found parts that have gone on it. The Wheels are quite low spec, and at the slightly unhappy bike shop getting trued best they can be... we'll see how it rides now. :)

Fair play Mark. Some of the best builds i've seen on here have adopted the 'because I want to' ethos. Everybody has their own opinion on what direction a bike should take, but what's more important is the direction you wish to take it, ie, what's the bikes going to be used for, what budget do I have, used or NOS, subtle/loud, period/modern, etc.

I'll give you my opinion of what i'd do with it (for what it's worth!), but this is too my budget and taste. Many will think i'm a lunatic but i'd live with and enjoy it. So here goes my Muddy Fox Sorcerer Mega from frame only through to full bike:-

-Gold RockShox mag 20's.
-Gold USE bars with a painted gold (same as forks) Syncros stem and gold x-lite bar ends.
-Gold USE seatpost.
-Blue Flite titanium saddle.
-Gold x-lite camlock QR skewers.
-Shimano Deore DX groupset with thumbshifters. Finished with gold anodised bolts, gold chain and blue cable outers
-Blue anodised hubs (Hope?) spoked to gold/citrus rims. Skin wall tyres probably Panaracer smoke/dart.

For me the bike would look trick and work better as an mtb, though probably still too heavy for serious use. However when you tot up the list your into some serious money and therefore i'd need to think is it worth it or should I put the money into something else? Well it is worth it if you've an emotional attachment to the bike, and don't forget this is retrobike where you can sell the parts on a few weeks, months or years down the line and get your money back. So as long as you can justify it to yourself your onto a winner.

Hope i've been of some help, as i say this only what I would do and you should do what you feel. Whatever you choose to do i'm sure you'll get it right Mark for your taste and requirements.

All the best.

Mark

Well Its looking complete.

With the Peaks part 2 deadline and spring I'm on the case. I went to a mates to get some spares, sadly the brakes I got were incomplete and the Ritchey stem wasn't what I wanted, as in it didn't have a cable guide, which this bike needs due to short fork steerer (original stem was routed for brake cable). Its gone a bit more modest , I went on ebay on the rebound and scored well/lucky. ;)

Big update and new parts specs and test ride pics tomorrow! :cool: stay tuned

bikebuilds2009001.jpg

7 stems and none of them ideal. nuts :D I've been riding it on the street like this though BMX style with rear brake only. Zoom was second stem and almost right.

bikebuilds2009003.jpg

off with his head!

bikebuilds2009002.jpg

perfect, bit of a clash like

bikebuilds2009004.jpg

Camo /fake patina?

bikebuilds2009015.jpg

or grey? :p

Good pics need daylight, after a few tweaks will post up, and then Saturday, it gets USED!

:eek: :LOL:

I fitted the stem last night, a little impatient but wanted the brakes on. paint prob not dry yet!

Well I got a ride round the park for this shoot, and it feels right, and by that nostalgic, everything I thought was cool in 1991, I didn't even have a MF back then (or ever before) but it feels totally retro and familiar. Win! :D

bikefox2009001.jpg

Spot the new/changed bits
bikefox2009003.jpg

maybe I should remove a link or 2.. hmm...
bikefox2009005.jpg

new brakes, not sure if they are staying, had to be creative to complete em.
bikefox2009009.jpg

bikefox2009010.jpg

bikefox2009008.jpg

bikefox2009014.jpg

New colour coded wheels, bike shop truer wasn't over impressed with em, and I'm not 100% but they do look right. :cool:
bikefox2009006.jpg

bikefox2009007.jpg

Old Skoolin'
bikefox2009011.jpg

mid way picture from a week or so ago, old and new, builds completed days apart. brill, like Christmas and birthday in one go! :LOL:

Back