Muddy Fox Sorcerer Mega

CH79

Dirt Disciple
First post so be gentle!

Recently picked up this 91 Muddy Fox Sorcerer Mega on ebay. I had one of these back in the 90s and it was stolen. It is the same frame size and bizarely does have a few changes i made back in the day, so may or may not be the same bike.

Looking at the state of it, it has sat for a while and not been touched. Running original tyres, brake pads etc.

Plan is to get it into a useable state and decide what to do with it. I've replaced the seat with one I had lying around, picked up some XT V brakes, new tyres, however need to source some 7 speed shifters. Then can't decide if to find some retro upgradew or if to update for more modern kit. A colleague has offered some RC35s so that will hopefully be the next job.

Cheers

Attachments

• 20221106_111048.jpg
    20221106_111048.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 56
Nice find, love the paint jobs on these old muddy foxes - cool that they went to the trouble of putting decent paint finishes on them in this era.
Good luck with your build - you sound like you’re going down the upgrade route with the v-brakes and pace forks, be interesting to see how it turns out. ;)

Very nice and hope it's the same one from all those years ago.

Are you thinking of changing the shifters because they're not working or just because you want something different? Lots of people would say there are better options, but if you wanted to keep it original, non-functioning shifters can often be fixed with a good flushing and re oiling / greasing.

Thanks all, the paintjob was what sold it to me back in the 90s. May or may not be the same bike, I'd trimmed the bars and sanded the seat post, this has the same, however both would be common changes. The brake levers were also set in, I had done this for bar ends. There are no bar ends on this bike, but the brakes are still set in, with a gap to the grips.. who knows, but a nice thought.

I'm changing the shifters as the brakes are currently all in one lx shifters/levers, and the brakes I've bought include the XT levers.

I'll probably end up with some kind of hybrid of both with some old and some new parts. Intended to do it on a budget but can't see that!

A mate had one of these bitd, that one got nicked too. Great bike with oddly changing tube profiles.

Yes, of course! - V brakes wouldn't work with those integrated push-push shifter/levers without V-daptors or similar gizmos. So, RapidFire shifters or thumbies, or even Grip Shifters.

I came across this thread from @joglo recently - might be useful

My colleague has brought in forks I mentioned above, they are RC36s with gold TiNi legs, manual says 98/99. I've offered £150 based on some prices on ebay, does that seem fair? Cheers

Bike is more or less finished for now, or at least it's in a state where it's rideable. The £30 bike has ended up costing touch more than anticipated , but happy with how it's ended up. Looking forward to riding it!

I still need like a Flyte Ti, a seatpost as this one is using a shim, and some new bars as they are a bit short. Then maybe deciding if to go with modern gearing etc.

Included a pic of as it was when I bought it for comparison

Attachments

• 20230109_190005.jpg
    20230109_190005.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 30
  • 20230109_185810.jpg
    20230109_185810.jpg
    436.9 KB · Views: 31
  • Screenshot_20230109_190242_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230109_190242_Gallery.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Very nice build, looks spot on with the gold decal / fork stanchions - pretty and purposeful!
Also one of the only builds I've seen where the silver clamp / black blade XT levers sit well.
Might be gilding the lily but what would you think to some gold chainring bolts?

Back