1991 Muddy Fox Sorcerer Mega, 2010's 1991 Make over Page3

OOOohhh that would be useful, I don't really have a lot of knowledge about these from BITD.

cheers

---

Some things I learned from the Peaks?
1. Cantis with old pads are poop and not confidence inspiring :shock: - solution coming ;)
2. I miss my modern suspension forks/stance on the downhill.
3. shiny bikes get really mucky and used! :eek:
4. My Raleigh was a tad too small.
5. the RB guys are great.
6. My fitness/feeding/technique needs work! :oops: :LOL:

take this lot with me and the Fox build to peaks 09, and did Mr K mention a RB racer at mayhem? Seriously ???? ! :shock: :eek: :LOL:

Hi Mr K, a delayed response, been moving around the south and in Withington for a while.. :) are you far away?

----

Part 4: FINISHED :cool: :cool: :cool:

Well since my last update and taking the Raleigh to the peaks, I've been spending monies and collecting. Seems its never over. I'm now waiting for a choice of two front mechs, so were (97%) FINISHED

With two sets of wheels now on standby I still ended up the Donor raleighs retro wheels
DSCF4806.jpg

I tried these Onza Half fats, but dubious colour and mammoth weight. not right for this bike...

Of course I was well prepared, still cleaning and stuff to do but here's how it was this aft
DSCF4810.jpg

I'd pulled out the Avenger headset and put in a Ritchey logic NOS from a RB member. :) it wasn't going in whith teh tools i had to hand so new hammer about 3.30 this arvo from Hellfrauds! ;) got it in and destroyed a wire brush handle!

DSCF4811.jpg

I had bought a small middle ring from jez off here but decided to go new, 36 and silver in the end.
DSCF4812.jpg

isn't it awsome! race face 36T
Only later I realised i mounted the rings in the wrong place, job for another day
:LOL:

DSCF4815.jpg

after a late tea i as making good progress, on with the brakes

DSCF4818.jpg

and finished!! wowsers, lovin' it

DSCF4819.jpg

DSCF4820.jpg

DSCF4821.jpg

7 speed cogs in teh end. :)
DSCF4822.jpg

ouch!

and there ya go, i went for a ride well stoked to know that it was a bare frame this afternoon. i think i need a longer lower stem so the zoom will go on for a while and see how that works... oh and teh seats not comfay but looks retro as! :D

Thanks to all who sold me bits and helped out.

Spec list now, at the top.... (or it will be shortly)

Frame: 1991 Muddy Fox Sorcerer Mega Cro mo

Fork: Muddy fox matching Cro mo

Headset: Ritchey logic NOS
Stem: Tioga T bone Avenger
Handlebar: USE in Gold
Grips: Onza Ules in yellow
Barends: Onza 170's

Brakes: Dia Compe SE XC new, Ritchey Logic recycled
Brake Pads: Dia Compe, Shimano
Brake Cables: Unex?
Cantilever cable hangers: Ringl Peace copies Give peas a chance!
Brake Levers: Dia Compe SS5

Shifters: Deore thumbies Old Skoolz
Front Derailleur: Deore LX NOS midskool 90's
Rear Derailleur: Deore LX period
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: Deore LX
Chain: SRAM 870 posh n silver! nickel then maybe!
Cranks: 500LX w00t
Crank Bolts: Hex key old/mid skoolers
Chainrings: Shimao originals 500lx on 24, and 46, new race face machined 36
Chainring bolts: standard 500LX
Bottom Bracket: deore XT? UN73?
Pedals: Odyssey Shark bite old skool BMX type

Hub Skewers: Halo Porkes in gold (need cutting down)
Rims: Alesa 6021
Hubs: Shimano Exage 1993
Nipples:
Spokes:
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC pro 2.1, WTB Exiwolf 1.95
Tubes: mixture

Saddle: original Muddy Fox
Seatpost: original Muddy Fox
Seatpost Binder: original Muddy Fox

Weight: dunno, it feels like my old bikes BITD so i'd say 30lbs +/- ;)
anyone got scales local?

Top build that Mark. Pity it did'nt make the peaks, but delighted to see it finished. Lots of nice little details like the awesome 'Rock Ring' (don't see enough of those IMO). I do think long term a gold USE seatpost will finish it off ( I like to blue/gold theme of the paint see).

Keep up the top work Mark. What's next?

Thanks to you Bruno, and cheers Mark.

Well last week i got to try it some more on road, as i had to fix my commuter, which turned into a full on clean and service!

The stem is a bit short so it was either the Zoom stem or the flex stem,

the rock ring came off as I got a new front mech, and it didnt seem to work with it. :( so took it off.

hang on I'll get some pics...

Oh and yeah Gold USE would be nice if i spot a good one i think its like 29.0 or 30'0 or some weird size 29.7? so thought a fitted one be better but you are right. :cool:

foxmods001.jpg

New modern/midskool? Deore LX front mech on. fits in nicely if a bit new. :)

No bash ring I'd like to see it return but need some new chainring bolts, longer ones... any ideas?

The bolts were giving me trouble tightening up, i got a special spanner for reverse side and chap in shop said grease and tool would do it, it didn't still too tight, to tighten.

this project is turning into a 'for old times sakes' memory lane bike, so as i always wanted one BITD, trying out the flex stem, or 'flexistem' as i used to call em!!
foxmods002.jpg

now I need a cable hanger so no front brake at mo!

'for old times sakes' I might dabble with some slightly old skool tyres too now...

It feels sturdy and alike my old bikes,, heavy!

thinking ahead for pimping the Raleigh too at the moment as a stable mate, maybe making that a bit more modern/serous/light/mucky terrain.... :p

:D

so plenty to happen yet. :)

Who was I kidding this bike was not finished!! :roll: :LOL:

Getting more and more particular! A few bits to swap about and it was only ever like 97% complete.

Right finding a stem is getting on me tits! :LOL:
I got a Control Tech at about 120mm (125?) with some rise, decided that can go on me Raleigh, and this Syncros item turned up today, its 130 and no rise at all.
going for polished to match my new spangly black Syncros seat post wasn't the best move and defo prefer the feel of the Control Tech, bit shorter and higher.
Foxstemdilemma001.jpg

Foxstemdilemma004.jpg

Foxstemdilemma002.jpg

Foxstemdilemma003.jpg

what say you? any ideas of where i'd get a black Syncros shorter than 125mm and some ride?

EDIT: I'm starting to like the look of the polished stem now, maybe i'll get used to the reach/stance, I might even get good at climbing hills :D

Also I need a front cable holder as my forks steer is too short for the 1.5mm one to fit.

Loads of exciting bits to come, it WILL be finished sometime, promise

Back