1991 Kona Lavadome project

Slight update !

Removed the previous KCNC bars and replaced them with the Bontager ones pictured. Probably more appropriate to era. Thanks to Deveron53 for these well travelled jobbies (he'll know what I mean :D ).

P6100110.jpg

Steve.

I love everything you did but one small thing. I would have preferred to see the Impact headset stay with the frame and fork. The Kona bar would have been neat to keep with it too, but the headset for sure.

Other than that, a very very nice bike! :cool: :cool: :cool:

Point taken re the headset. The cups on the Impact really need re-painting so will do that in the near future and then re-fit and see what it all looks like.

The original Kona bars are just too narrow for me and don't feel comfortable. I prefer a wider feel because i'm used to risers to be honest. But again, point noted :cool:

Thanks for the positive thumbs up :D

Steve.

That looks fantastic, well done. I've just sourced a reasonably local powder coater who's really keen to give my infant Lava Dome project a new coat to wear. I've been thinking about a suitable non metallic colour all day and I have to admit white looks very good.

Update !

Decided to clean and refit the Impact headset that came as standard on the Lavadome. Pretty glad I did ! It looks just right & I really should have done it sooner. For some reason it feels nice on the bike, better than the LX headset.
Also refitted the seatpost clamp that came with the bike for a bit more authenticity :cool:

P6200165.jpg

P6200164.jpg

P6200163.jpg

P6200168.jpg

P6200167.jpg

P6200162.jpg

P6200166.jpg

Spec updated !

Cheers, Steve.

:shock:

Chuffin' heck! That is a NICE Kona! If i had one like this I'd wreck it :?

Still, nice to view somebody else's stunner.

SP

Took the bike out this morning for a bit of a photo shoot along the south-east corner of the island. Hope you like :cool:

Re-fitted the original Kona 165 bars to see how they looked & the Kona was suffering from a bit of chain slip due to a worn cassette so have replaced it with a SRAM 8 speed one.

P7010159.jpg

P7010160.jpg

P7010161.jpg

P7010164.jpg

P7010165.jpg

P7010169.jpg

P7010172.jpg

P7010174.jpg

P7010178.jpg

P7010179.jpg

P7010181.jpg

P7010186.jpg

P7010187.jpg

P7010189.jpg

P7010190.jpg

P7010182.jpg

The small harbour is La Rocque on the south-east corner of Jersey and the castle in the distance is Mont Orgueil castle at Gorey. Only 15 miles from France!

Cheers all - got to go to work now :? :cry:

Steve.

A lovely corner of the world Steve, certainly the perfect location for a few cheeky Kona snaps.

I've been informed today that my forks and stem have been coated, but the frame won't go through till next week. I'm sure at my age I shouldn't be this excited by the prospect of receiving a painted bit of steel!

I know that feeling of excitment well. I was curtain twitching for about a week as I was waiting for the 'Dome to return from the powder coaters! Every time I heard a van pull up near my place i'd run to the window and look out thinking it was the courier. It reminded me of the build up to xmas as a kid :LOL:

Thanks for the comment. It was a glorious morning so couldn't resist some Kona glamour pics :cool:

Steve.

Back