1991 Kona Lavadome project

Wonderful and thanks folks for all your feedback!

I think the first thing to do with this bike is a complete strip down and degrease/degunk. Your probably right that some of the dirt and grime is as retro as the bike itself! The guy that sold it to me found the Retro Bikes website and saw my original entry so was only too happy for the machine to go to a good home. Once i've got the parts separated then i'll decide what's staying and what's going. From then on i'd like to stick to parts of the era but not necessarily a purists rebuild.

In fact, i've also just got hold of a set of P2 forks from the 90s in much better condition although with different stickers. I will be collecting them latter in the week so will post pics then. Seen some fantastic looking Lava Domes on the forums with nice paintwork so maybe a repaint is called for-we'll see!

Finally, the bike will be my summer ride to the beach. I doubt she'll be hitting any trails. So want to keep it all cool and laid back :cool:

Cheers for now, Steve.

Hi all.

I've been removing and cleaning various bits over the last couple of days such as seat post, chainset, front & rear mech, saddle etc. I discovered that the front mech is in fact too big for the frame. The clamp is 34.9 whereas the seat tube is narrower! The difference was made up with a homemade shim made of a strip of metal! It's only when the dirt fell away that this came to light.

Anybody know the correct mech clamp size for the Lavadome please ?

I'll take a few pics in daylight tomorrow. Been giving these bits some tlc and they've scrubbed up nicely :)

Cheers.

Right then! Have been stripping the bike down over the last few days and this afternoon so here are a few pics of the job. Needless to say, the missus was at work and the kids were watching a dvd :)

Even though it looked as if there would be damage to some of the bike it was a pleasant surprise to find much that was ok.

Bottom Bracket

Came out really easily. In fact too easily because it wasn't very tight at all. Looked cruddy when removed but cleaned up nicely. Not loose and very smooth. Will keep this!

P3120079.jpg

P3120080.jpg

P3120113.jpg

Headset

Looked dirty when on the bike so removed and cleaned. Bearings look fine. Everthing tight and looks good with that big brass (?) bit!

P3120096.jpg

P3120097.jpg

P3120110.jpg

Stem

Easy to remove and undamaged. Looked like it had a bit of surface rust but cleaned up quite well with some Scotchbrite + water. Still not A1 so may repaint eventually. Would like to keep stickers though! That cable guide is a bit lethal :shock:

P3120088.jpg

P3120099.jpg

P3120107.jpg

P3120108.jpg

Handlebar

Had to get rid of the huge grips that came on the bike. Horrible things. As you can see, they were hiding some really sticky masking tape that was bl**dy hard to shift. Stuck to everything! However, the bars polished up nicely so may refit these. Bars are 560mm wide.

P3120089.jpg

P3120092.jpg

P3120093.jpg

P3120094.jpg

Front mech

Cleaned up brilliantly but clamp is wrong size so it will go into spares box or may offer for sale. Notice home made shim from metal strips used to mount mech :shock:

P3100072.jpg

P3100073.jpg

P3120082.jpg

Rear mech

Again, cleaned up nicely so no probs there. May keep ? Will definitely need new jockey wheels though.

P3100069.jpg

P3100070.jpg

P3100071.jpg

Seatpost

Polished up nicely so may be one to keep hold of. All markings were nearly gone because dirt had ground them away over time. I think its a 27.0mm.

P3100065.jpg

P3100066.jpg

P3100067.jpg

Chainset

If you look at the earlier pics above you will see the rings were covered in old chain lube + dirt so really pleased that it all cleaned up well. Cranks are in good condition. Ring teeth look ok but i'm no expert. However, I fancy a better set so may flog these off later in the day.

P3100060.jpg

P3100063.jpg

P3100064.jpg

Brakes

Definitely junking these because i've got my eye on a set of old XTR cantis. If not then a set in polished alu will be fitted - not black! Anyway, they don't match front and rear.

P3120085.jpg

P3120086.jpg

P3120090.jpg

P3120091.jpg

Stickers

And finally - stickers! They are looking a bit sorry for themselves so I am in two minds as to what to do. Going to clean and polish the frame tomorrow so see how that goes. There are some good looking Lavadomes on the site and i'm sure someone might point me in the direction of a repro set from Gil_m maybe ?

P3120105.jpg

P3120104.jpg

P3120103.jpg

P3120101.jpg

P3120100.jpg

So that's it for tonight. Lots more to do on this bike but will keep you posted when I get the chance. Any tips, info or if you know of any parts that might be of interest then feel free chaps.

Cheers, Steve.

Wow it looks so much better, I love old DX parts, they were made to last and will always come up clean as new if covered in grease and muck in my experience. The seat post should be 26.4 ;)

Also just to point out that the middle and granny rings need to be rotated 2 holes clock wise so that the tabs on the underside align with the crank arm, dont think it will cause an issue but there are some shif teeth that will be in the wrong posistion this way. The outer is in correct place btw.

Look forward to seeing this bike evolve :cool:

Thanks for that m8. Quite right! I cleaned the chainset at work the other day and bunged it all together in a rush. May get new rings yet so not a problem. Been a long time since I tinkered with a bike so bound to make shed loads of cock-ups :LOL:
Amazing what spit and polish and a bit of tlc achieves ;)

hey, nice bike! much better then on the first pics :)
i would change the brakes, get a dx front mech 28.6 size. i'll keep rings, cog and chain. the frame and the forks... frame looks better then the forks. i would keep the original paint and the decals but remove the rust from inside of the tubes. but i'm an"original paint/decals" fan :) forks def need to be repainted or replace a beeter condition one.

have fun,
norbert

Blimey. I'd nearly forgotten about the old Lavadome :shock: Noooooo - only joking!

Thanks for your interest chaps because you've jolted me into posting an update. I have deliberately not posted for ages because i've committed to something and I didn't want to spill the beans before seeing the results! But, hay-ho, in for a penny in for a pound, I might as well post an update.

The Frame

After cleaning off the frame and really hoping that I could salvage the original paintwork I came to the conclusion that I would prefer a fresh start. I know what you mean norton about stock paint and believe me I would have preferred to have kept it purple but.... There was too much damage! I didn't want to make do and mend so I have gone down the powder coat route.

Gasp, shock, horror of horrors I hear you say :shock: But wait. Not all is lost because it's going to be very simple and subtle. No neon shockers here fellow retro-heads just plain and cool. What that colour is will have to remain a secret for now - save to say that the forks & stem will stay black.

Sent the frame last week so allowing for snail mail from here on my rock and Easter I should hear from the pc guys next week (fingers, legs & arms crossed). I really didn't want to post anything until I saw the results. Just in case it was an almighty c**k-up :roll: So watch this space..........

Parts

I've been collecting various bits of late. Some relatively contemporary and some not. I want to build the bike with a retro look but with a nice mix of stuff but nothing too bang up to date (if you get my drift?). Got some nice black NOS LX bits, flat bars, LX canti brakes, LX wheelset, tyres etc etc etc. So early nineties look with nice clean lines and hopefully a subtle contrast to the paint. Still looking for a few finishing bits but will request help later :) Also, before I forget, a '91 Lavadome stickers set!

So that's it for now. No pics as yet although I may post a few of the parts. Trouble is, a photo of a pile of out of context metal/rubber/plastic does nothing for me so I may keep you in suspenders for a little while longer :cool: Needless to say, as soon as the frame returns from its wanderings abroad I will keep you posted.

Until then dear riders, au revoir from the southern most part of the British Isles and sweat retro dreams.

Yours.....Steve.

Back