1991 Kona Explosif 16”

theador

Devout Dirtbag
Hi all. So here goes; don’t expect the most comprehensive build thread, but thought it might be nice to document the upgrades.

Picked up a standard Kona Explosif 1991 16” the other day in great condition, other than the paint fade. It’s pretty original other than saddle, rear mech and a couple of other little things.

Plan is to do a few period upgrades to the bike and eventually respray. IMG_7493.jpeg

Last edited:
Magura HS33 fitted,
Joe Murray bottle cage,
Flite saddle,
Longer stem and original ‘cut down’ bars,
XT Thumb Shifters and grips fitted.
Went for some Conti Speed and Mountain King tyres as they have Yellow and White decals, like JOE MURRAY stuff

IMG_7570.jpeg IMG_7568.jpeg

Last edited:
Got hold of a set of Future Shock Forks to go on, elastomers are shot. Trouble is it's a 1 1/8 in steerer and I'm on a 1" one at the mo, so looking for a:
1 1/8th JOE MURRAY Impact Headset
1 1/8th JOE MURRAY Stem, although I don't think these were ever available in black? SO maybe just a nice exotic black stem (Syncros).

IMG_7546 (1).jpeg IMG_7543.jpeg IMG_7541.jpeg

Do you have reducer cups in the head tube just now then?

So how do you plan on fitting a 1 1/8” headset? 🤔

I’m sure 91 Explosifs take a 1 1/8” headset anyway

Sorry it's just the steerer tube on the fork that are bigger; surely I just need to change the headset out to take the bigger steerer tube?

Your frame should already have a 1 1/8” headset, in which case the new fork should fit

No, the 91 Kona's were 1", or at least the smaller ones were

You’re possibly getting confused by models. In 91 it was the Hahanna and Fire Mountain that were 1”, but the other models were 1 1/8”

Latest posts

Back