1991 Klein Pinnacle

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
My first Klein.

P7130197.jpg P7130181.jpg P7130193.jpg P7130189.jpg P7130194.jpg P7130192.JPG
P7130198.jpg
Bought this bike a few weeks ago but only just got around to collecting it. The seller was from West Yorkshire and he used to race for Specialized and Klein BITD, now he deals in them, this bike was part of a display piece, it had been ridden but not very far, probably less than a kilometre and possibly not even outside, it is immaculate. There is some very slight oxidization at the crown fork, but you can't see it unless you go right in and it's so slight it's not even worth worrying about. The rest of the bike though is minty.

It's all DX except for the Seatpost and headset which are XT, everything corresponds fully with the catalogue spec, the Thorr rims are pristine with no tracks at all, it's about as close to being a NOS bike as you can get without it being box fresh. Pics really don't do the colourway justice, this thing glows in the sunlight, the flare red in particular seems almost fluorescent.

pinny.JPG
tempsnip.jpg

I took it out for a spin today, I swapped out the original saddle and wheels, the saddle to preserve it and the wheels partly to preserve the original tyres, but also to give me an honest comparison with the other bikes I've ridden, this is my go to commuting wheel and tyre set and it has been on most of my bikes over the past couple of years, and so I can be sure anything I notice about the ride will be down to the frame and nothing else.

What they say is true, these bikes are extremely responsive, fairly uncomfortable and a hell of a lot of fun to ride, you really do feel like every single watt of energy that you invest is being fed directly through the drivetrain with no wastage whatsoever, you push your foot down and it is off. My White spider had a similar feel to it but this is something else, and while the White Spider was extremely comfortable this bike makes you feel every single bump and stone through that handlebar, I've never suffered from painful wrists before, after 25 miles of hard riding today I finally know what sore wrists feel like.

Presumably that's the price you have to pay for all that efficiency and instant responsiveness, just as your energy is channelled directly to the wheels the ground shouts back at you through the grips.

I absolutely love it. This is not a bike I would want to ride all day long, it's not really a bike I'd want to ride every day either, but if I'm ever in the mood to let off some steam then this is the bike I'll be reaching for. It loves the kind of tracks I was out on today, fast hardpack, winding loose gravel and tight woodland trails, but you have to push it to really enjoy yourself, it's not for bimbling about while you admire the flowers, it's for tearing around full pelt, it does whatever you tell it to do, point and off it goes, think about kicking the back wheel out and out it pops. I never felt more in control flying at breakneck speed down my favourite trail as I did today, sadly my wrists are not quite as impressed.

Last edited:
then you will need a bonti/tange tuning fork upfront :)
in the rear no chance with those early klein clearance specs

#snowcat rims!!!!

Another very nice one (almost too nice😝). Did not know Klein changed the clearance on the chainstays later on.

From the 91 catalog...
View attachment 643678
Those Trailbears on the Snowcats are only 2.2's and fit easily.
after 91 and pre trek, klein even made the clearance wider a second time!
still no to the effect other framebuilders to allow best clearance....
..partly its due to the whole boxed&square seatstay construction

But cool if you can fit your wheels of choice!
Sidenote, we all know what 2.5 tires were back then.. wtb designed S

Last edited:
after 91 and pre trek, klein even made the clearance wider a second time!
still no to the effect other framebuilders to allow best clearance....

partly its due to the hole boxed seatstay construction
...but cool if you can fit your wheels of choice!

sidenote, we all know what 2.5 tires were back then.. wtb designed S
I'm currently trying to buy a pair of Rene Herse Rat trap Pass (2.3), rode on a pair of those a while ago and the comfort was unreal, if the extra width + comfort cancels out the 'out of control hydraulic drill' effect to the wrists, then this bike may become more than just a fair weather punching bag.

Just fitted the Snow cats with 2.25's, loads of space at the back but only just enough room at the front end, but it rolls lovely now and vibrations absorbed. Had to switch out the brake blocks for low profiles, thankfully the yellow goes nicely.

P7130003.JPG P7130005.JPG
P7130004.JPG
P7130001.JPG

Last edited:
Back