1991 GT Xizang - Finished 13/03 pg3 - update pg4 15/01

Thanks for the comments chaps :D

Woody - cheers for the offer of you bars if you switch - my OCD can't stand the wrong make for much longer!

Gm - yep that's our foot of snow that's brought the UK to a halt and a lot of builds along with it :roll:

beautiful xizang! is it up and running now? rob eva, australian xc and dh guru from the 90's and GT sponsored rider, always used manitou forks on his bikes as they sponsored him. you bike actually reminds me of his old xizang. he had zaskars, xizangs, RTS, LTS all with manitou forks. he also used to run answer atac stems and hyperlites, again because of the sponsorship thing..

Looks stunning, the contrast between the fluro declas and understated Ti finish is perfect. Should get a Govt. grant for riding that as it brightens other peoples days!

OK its finished, (for now!), taken a while this one and there's been a few twists and turns along the way.

It should have been finished a couple of months back but had a couple of things that I wasn't happy with and to do it properly decided I wanted the ti coloured XC Pro pedals rather than the black XC Comps I had and was hankering after a ti stanchion kit for the manitous which I managed to get the other day and weren't straight forward to fit :roll: but its done now :D

The aim was to build it a bit different (suntour/manitou/control tech) than usual for GTs but in a way that produced a nice riding and looking bike, spec below and pics, hope you all like it :D

Frame: 1991/2 GT Xizang (its a very late 91 with the weld bead left on the penetration for the internal cable routing to prevent cracking - in 92 they switched to external cabling) Repro decals from gil_m - top notch as usual - thanks Gil!

Fork: Manitou 1. Ti bolt kit and ti stanchions. Has a manitou 2 crown, would like a manitou 1 crown ideally.

Headset: Suntour XC Pro grease guard
Stem: Control Tech Ti Bolt Kit.
Handlebar: Control Tech
Grips: GT AME

Brakes: Dia Compe AD992 rear / 987 front
Brake Pads: Scott Mathaouser
Brake Cables: Suntour Hard Liner
Cantilever cable hangers: Suntour
Brake Levers: Suntour XC Pro

Shifters: Suntour XC Pro Thumbies
Front Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC Pro
Derailleur Cables: Suntour Accushift Plus
Cassette: Suntour 12-28
Chain: Suntour APII
Cranks: Suntour XC Pro
Crank Bolts: White Industries Ti
Chainrings: Suntour Power Rings
Bottom Bracket: White Industries Ti
Pedals: Suntour XC Pro/GT Toe Clips

Hub Skewers: Control Tech
Rims: Araya RM14
Hubs: Suntour XC Pro
Spokes: Stainless DB
Tyres: Ritchey Megabyte WCS Folding

Saddle: Rolls Ti
Seatpost: Control Tech
Seatpost Binder: Hope (new I know but one day I'll find a decent GT one and these Hope bits are sooo nice :D)

Weight: ??.

Pics:

dsc0492h.jpg

dsc0484z.jpg

dsc0490ak.jpg

dsc0486g.jpg

dsc0485l.jpg

dsc0487h.jpg

dsc0488z.jpg

dsc0489.jpg

dsc0483.jpg

dsc0482cy.jpg

dsc0481.jpg

few more pics taken in the shade to give the deep ti colour a bit more show:

dsc0493iv.jpg

dsc0495.jpg

dsc0496yq.jpg

Progress: (?)

dsc0497.jpg

(my favourite two ti bikes)

gm1230126":181ai9k5 said:
Saweet! Nice clean build. Very classy. Always liked the look of the leading axle fork dropouts on a GT.

Thanks gm1230126! Thanks for the info on the frame as well :D

I concur, really nice, reminds me I need finish mine 92' Xizang and finally publish. But at the moment is far away from this look. Cool internal cable routing, mine frame has external. I'll be fussy now, only thing which I would change is RD for long cage version to match non microdrive Suntour.

Back