1991-1994 Orange Clockwork Deore LX/DX

Stodgy

Retro Guru
1991-1994 Orange Clockwork

I’ve had this frame in the shed for about 6 or 7 years now and never got around to building it up. Eventually found the motivation during lockdown.

The back story is that I wanted to use some parts I had left over from one of my favourite ever bikes, a 1991 Ridgeback 702LX which had a Deore LX groups, but with upgraded DX brake levers and shifters (very important!!!) The frame of that bike is long gone sadly, but I have hoarded all the components for that day in the future when I would re-create my teenage years, sun will shine and my hair will grow back to my Kurt Cobainesque thatch of the early nineties.

So, here are most of the components attached to a rather scummy Orange Clockwork frame from probably around 1994 (not sure). Most of the them are Deore LX from the era - Chainset, hubs, front and rear mech - but it has DX levers and shifters (class) and DX brakes (I think). Seatpost, bars and stem are Orange in-house bits, saddle is a Ritchey Plus Rail and tyres are some Ritchey ones I acquired years ago and look pretty good.

It's quite grubby around the edges but the frame is solid and true - not a concours bike, but one that can be given a good thrashing without too much concern about scratching it.

I haven’t gone into this to build a light bike, but was hoping for it to be under 28lbs. Without pedals it came in at 24.3lbds and with pedals and straps it’s about 25.5lbs, so well happy with that!

Initial ride around the garden enforced my initial fears that it might be a touch too small for me. I’ve 185cm, 6’1” and I think it is a 19” frame. You can see a lot of seat post sticking out, which I know isn’t unusual, but it is quite a low and steep front end. I’m not sure how confident I’ll be on it off-road, but I will reserve judgement until I take it out for a longer ride, although I’lll stick to the roads as the parks are packed with the non-social distancers around here.

Here it is:

IMG_2976 by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

IMG_2974 by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

IMG_2975 by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

IMG_2978 by Sam Hodgson357, on Flickr

Thats definitely a 19 inch frame. And it’s a 1993 Clockwork. Had one of these as a 13 year old. Brings back fantastic memories for me. It finally gave up on me in 2010, after cycle trips to the Far East, Europe. Mine was the same colour scheme and decals, but decked out in Suntour. Anyway thanks for sharing. Really like it!

Very tidy - I've the same colour fade on a 94 Clockwork next on the fettle list. Really like this fade combo. Your pic has just confirmed something I've not noticed before. The Orange logo on down tube looks oval rather than round. Just unboxed one today like that.

Might be a bit small but will ride it tomorrow and find out. Did they come in a bigger size?

Yes came in a 21 inch also. I had one in the 21 inch size around 4 years back..Sold on as it was too big for me! we could Of do a swap otherwise :)

Back