1990 Specialized Stumpjumper "63XC" - A Fixed Gear Project

caemis

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
For years it has hanging around in my attic. Originally bought for a friend but never got to build it, I moved it ocassionally from one corner to the other: a Stumpjumper frameset from 1990. For years the idea had rumbled in my head from one corner to the other: Marco it told me, Marco what you really need, I mean really really not just a bit, but really is a fixed gear bike. Of course, as I am no roadie - also I enjoy the tarmac once in a while after a long dirty ride in the woods - it should neither become a fixed gear bike for the road nor for the city. So 63CX it is [For those who not remember: between 2002 and 2007 63xc.com was a online magazine for off-road fixed gear enthusiasts and is still online in its old shape: http://www.63xc.com]

At some point last week I finally decided to use this old Stumpi to build a fixed gear mountain bike. Classic of course, with some necessary detours in our time, as finding a suitable hub is impossible... And here she is:

I do hope to finish it soon and get it into the dirt while the forest is muddy and wet :LOL:

Cheers,
Marco

Look forward to seeing how this works out. :cool:

I built my Pace Rc104 up as a fixed gear but never actually got round to riding it. I think I was a bit scared if I'm honest! :oops: :LOL:
I'll just stick to singlespeed off-road I think. That's suitably 'core for me! :LOL:

For a suitable hub, the expensive option would be Phil Woods, which used to be sold by 63XC's sister site hubjub. However, a quick look at the Phil's site doesn't show a listing for a 135mm OLD fixed hub.

I'll go away now.

Re:

Signing in for updates, this is something I've considered as I've already got a modern fixed road bike.
For the rear hub something like in the link below would be good, using a disc hub and a bolt on cog. I've seen these sold complete/in kit form in a few different places from what I remember.

https://www.velosolo.co.uk/shophub.html

Will there be enough room for chain tensioning at the dropouts?

Sorry for the hub-confusion. What I meant to say was building the whole bike as classic as possible, but with a modern hub, as it would be impossible to find a suitable hub from the 90s. And in my case, yesterday a Surly New Ultra Disc hub arrived and will get a disc cog threaded on...

Waiting for the rims to arrive as well and finding some spare time to build the wheels will be the next job.

But thank you all for reading :)

Re: Re:

jimo746":2w83c23j said:
Signing in for updates, this is something I've considered as I've already got a modern fixed road bike.
For the rear hub something like in the link below would be good, using a disc hub and a bolt on cog. I've seen these sold complete/in kit form in a few different places from what I remember.

It was a disc mount cog I used for the Pace.

Attachments

• IMGP0723.JPG
    IMGP0723.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 655
Re: Re:

firedfromthecircus":m1jkl0k2 said:
jimo746":m1jkl0k2 said:

It was a disc mount cog I used for the Pace.
They have some neat stuff, indeed. The 22t cogs - :xmas-cool: Something to ride through the Alps...

And there is plenty of room for chain tensioning...

Re:

Cool project Marco!

I was thinking of doing the same with the Hammerschlag Bontrager, but it's still SS for the time being.

The disc mount adaptor looks like a decent bet. I am still searching for a Surly fixxer, but they're hard to find. Maybe try brazing up a cassette hub if you're brave?

I think the diac cog ia the easieat option. PAUL currently has a fixed hub for 135mm spacing in stock but thats some serious dollars. I will spent them if this think really works oit for me. Another options are of coirse dedicated ainglespeed disc huba as the Surly New Ultra or hubs from the trial guys...

At the moment:

In the afternoon, the spokes hopefully will arrive to build the rear wheel and then I am ready to go :)

Back