1990 Specialized Rock Hopper Resurrection

Sometimes i find that on a daily rider it's fine to adjust a more modern pedal instead of keeping the old ones. It improves the ride a lot.

View attachment 694192
Does anyone have any idea if these pedals can still be salvaged? The bearings have play or run rough. The pedal body is made of plastic and the metal frame seems to be riveted somehow and not screwed...
I would like to keep them and just replace or refurbish the bearings if it is possible. The rest of the parts are all in very good condition, apart from some rust and dirt.

Nice restoration, those pedals have removable cages though. The LX don't. Hence the modified socket to undo the locknut.

Yes with pleasure
First, I cleaned the frame normally with soapy water and dried it. Then I used a cloth and some WD40 to remove grease and glue residue as best I could. I then removed what still stuck with this plastic power cleaner. It is basically an abrasive paste but for plastic surfaces and therefore not as aggressive. It does not scratch the paintwork.
images.jpeg
I then brushed the rust spots with a rust converter from the DIY store and let it work for about half an hour. When they have turned black, you can simply wipe away the excess rust converter with a little elbow grease.
images (1).jpeg
Finally, I applied a polish for heavily weathered lacquers to the entire frame and polished it with a cloth (old T-shirt).
51ylVoMXJ4S._AC_SX425_.jpg
This polish has a fine grain for sanding and at the same time contains wax for sealing.
You can repeat this step until the result is satisfactory.

Back