1990 Ridgeback 704XT

That's a wonderful build. I was lucky enough to buy the titanium Ridgeback from the same year recently. In almost in ridden condition bar the grips being ODi's as yours, and the tyres being Smokes.

The sellers wife had the original Madison gel saddle on her bike and it looked like new. I didn't have the heart to ask for the saddle as I felt I'd stolen the bike anyway for what I paid. Wish I'd secured it now.

I find it odd that your bike has canti's on the rear yet mine has a U brake, I guess that was Merlins decision and what they were using at the time.

Enjoy it, she's a beauty :)

Re:

Thanks minifreak, if you haven't already please start a thread on your Ridgeback/Merlin with dozens of piccys as well... :cool:

A Madison gel saddle would be the icing on the cake - mega rare...

Re: Re:

Dossa":3anphrcn said:
Thanks minifreak, if you haven't already please start a thread on your Ridgeback/Merlin with dozens of piccys as well... :cool:

A Madison gel saddle would be the icing on the cake - mega rare...

I wonder how many of these saddles were ditched BITD and replaced ? :facepalm:

Re:

Yes, a fair few no doubt stuck a Flite on without any thought that 24yrs later we'd want the original saddle... :mrgreen:

I believe the original carbon seatpost and bars didn't last too long, doubt they'll ever pop up either..?

:D

Minifreak":1rsw75gx said:
I find it odd that your bike has canti's on the rear yet mine has a U brake, I guess that was Merlins decision and what they were using at the time.

Enjoy it, she's a beauty :)

None of the 1990 Ridgeback range had U brakes bar the Merlin Ti version - purely Merlin's specification I'd say.

Dossa":2dpojnk0 said:
Yes, a fair few no doubt stuck a Flite on without any though that 24yrs later we'd want the original saddle... :mrgreen:

I believe the original carbon seatpost and bars didn't last too long either, doubt they'll ever pop up either..?

:D

That was me ! ditch the oem and fit something different !
that's what makes me laugh at these catalogue builds because we used to change components around to make it "ours" !

Re:

I must confess my Ridgeback Ti has a Flite on right now ;)

It does have the original carbon Madison handlebars however and they are in perfect condition.

I promise to get some pics up at some point.

Minifreak":18xvnycc said:
I must confess my Ridgeback Ti has a Flite on right now ;)

It does have the original carbon Madison handlebars however and they are in perfect condition.

I promise to get some pics up at some point.

How old is that carbon ? :?

24 years old roughly but the bike has been ridden less than 10 times I would say.

I had a carbon bar snap on me in the mid 90's. I wouldn't use it if I didn't trust it.

Dossa":3uiudt4j said:
Thanks, mate.... Seatpost "should" be 26.0mm, though perhaps someone else could confirm?

I'll be swapping the period correct Madison one currently fitted for a 26.2mm one so would suit yours a treat if you're interested?

Cheers :D

Many thanks for the offer. Yes I am interested in the post if you're replacing it.
No hurry so whenever it suits you.

I actually have a Madison gel saddle on my Hardrock. I wonder if it's the same being talked about...
Unfortunately it's started to crack and gel is coming out.

Back